Vic 2016 Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
I can bring back the chilli roo stew but I'm not sure my guts can handle the aftermath again. It would be a dangerous drive back to the border without a refrigerated dunny roll.
Wayne's toilet copped a flogging and that's just factoring in my use :blush:

Hey, Cocko.

Could you post-up some piccies of the newly-proposed brew area & your table/racking etc. so we can get some idea of how to plan-out orientation of the brew-rig?

Dammit! I said I wasn't going to get involved in this one & here I am...taking-over, making overblown/unwelcome suggestions, ordering people around....... :ph34r:

Does anyone own a zodiac ...
Not sure what the specific rain fall is for the area in December
... But ya never know

MartinOC said:
Hey, Cocko.

Could you post-up some piccies of the newly-proposed brew area & your table/racking etc. so we can get some idea of how to plan-out orientation of the brew-rig?

Dammit! I said I wasn't going to get involved in this one & here I am...taking-over, making overblown/unwelcome suggestions, ordering people around....... :ph34r:

Please do mate, I plan on supplying some ground, power, water and a shovel. The rest is up to you guys! :ph34r: :p :D

Seriously though, the racking is pulled down but it is that bunnings stuff, sort of like mini pallet racking, I have heaps of cross beam so can create a few tiers etc... should be a little bloody ripper - Also, have spare work bench and my dog is pretty strong and will stay for at least 15 minutes, so we can use him as a stand too.

micbrew said:
Does anyone own a zodiac ...
Not sure what the specific rain fall is for the area in December
... But ya never know
Now THAT'S cryptic, but in any case, we'll be on a hill (of sorts).

Mardoo said:
A cruise ship would work better.
Insufficient draught....if ya know what I mean.... ;)

Cocko said:
Please do mate, I plan on supplying some ground, power, water and a shovel. The rest is up to you guys! :ph34r: :p :D

Seriously though, the racking is pulled down but it is that bunnings stuff, sort of like mini pallet racking, I have heaps of cross beam so can create a few tiers etc... should be a little bloody ripper - Also, have spare work bench and my dog is pretty strong and will stay for at least 15 minutes, so we can use him as a stand too.
Nah, all good mate if you could just do a couplea piccies, it'd be appreciated. You just didn't get who's the butt of the joke....Others :angry: will.....

Why are you banishing the pooch? They LOVE case swaps & case-swaps love pooches!!

micbrew said:
mutha nature dear boy ...ie wind & rain sorta stuff
Ah... for a moment there, I thought you were suggesting an amphibious Commando assault on Cocko's carport on top of a hillock. :huh:

'Couldn't see the point of such a move when it was obvious that he had no water (or power) of strategic importance to achieve the objective of brewing 500L of liquid brain-damage constructed by Technobabble.

Erm..I think I need to get some more sleep..... :blink:

Yep, that's who I meant ;)

I was really hoping to get my boots in but it looks like the swap will be during Sutra's bad days of her pain cycle, although I might get lucky and that will be the week before. Please, please, please!!!

Alrighty, time for me to chime in!

I'm not entirely sure who's meant to organising/co-ordinating/initiating what - re: the split of roles between Host, Head Brewer, Head Caterer.
So I'll get cracking on the recipe, gear, setup & brew day brewing - Goddammit, i think i'll have to show up Friday night as well! - and happily leave everything else for Andrew and/or whoever volunteers for Catering to handle.
Has anyone stepped up to organize the catering yet?

Andrew, would you be able to post a few piccies to start getting an idea of the brew-space, number of power points, areas to light up gas burners, water supply/drainage etc? Pretty please!!

The recipe should work out to be very similar to the brewing of the Wee Heavy we did up at Kinglake - similar OG, quantity of grains and caramelisation of a volume of run-off.

So basically, who contributed the gear at that brewing session (and who organised that one?)?
I'm assuming it was mainly Idzy's & Wayne's gear, possibly a Mashtun or so from Jesse? Was anything else contributed?
Are you guys all still attending this one, and can we make use of your gear? I'll start up a PM once i get an idea of who needs to be involved.

The next issue is the ingredients.
What was the efficiency we've achieved for the Wee Heavy and some of the other brews? I was calculating 75%, but i suspect this is wildly optimistic. I noticed the recipe for the Wee Heavy was ~200kg grain, and the OG ended up similar to what we're targeting here.

At 75% effic we need approx;
100kg Belgian Pilsner, 50kg Belgian Pale Ale, 3.5kg Melanoiden.
0.68kg each of Brewer's Gold, Hallertauer Mittlefruh, and Styrians.
(Plus 1kg Dark Candi Syrup per batch, for those that want it)

Can the CleverBrewing Guy provide the grains? I think i'll be able to cover the Melanoiden myself, but the other 150kg (may end up being 200kg given the Wee Heavy grist) will need to be purchased i believe.
Can Hopdealz provide the hops required? If so, can you obtain all of them, Jesse? Otherwise is there anything you'd suggest for subs?

Obviously we'll need to work out a per-cube cost for this. i believe generally ~$20-35 has been the previous few case swaps.

Any other things i need to start covering here?

technobabble66 said:
I'm not entirely sure who's meant to organising/co-ordinating/initiating what - re: the split of roles between Host, Head Brewer, Head Caterer.

Cocko provides the venue/facilities, then runs-around like a headless chook providing things as required (that people forgot), then stands-around getting tanked. You (as Head Brewer) decide on the recipe, how to use the gear & make executive decisions on any adjustments that need to be made on the fly (now THERE'S a challenge for you...). Food is down to the Head Caterer. Anyone willing to stick their hand-up this time?

Goddammit, i think i'll have to show up Friday night as well! You'd be well-advised to do that, just in case we might need something to be brought-up on the Saturday morning.

The recipe should work out to be very similar to the brewing of the Wee Heavy we did up at Kinglake - similar OG, quantity of grains and caramelisation of a volume of run-off.

So basically, who contributed the gear at that brewing session (and who organised that one?)? 'Twas me, but it was the usual team-effort, so I won't take credit.
I'm assuming it was mainly Idzy's & Wayne's gear, possibly a Mashtun or so from Jesse? Was anything else contributed?
Are you guys all still attending this one, and can we make use of your gear? I'll start up a PM once i get an idea of who needs to be involved.

The next issue is the ingredients.
What was the efficiency we've achieved for the Wee Heavy and some of the other brews? I was calculating 75%, but i suspect this is wildly optimistic. I noticed the recipe for the Wee Heavy was ~200kg grain, and the OG ended up similar to what we're targeting here.

At 75% effic we need approx;
100kg Belgian Pilsner, 50kg Belgian Pale Ale, 3.5kg Melanoiden.
0.68kg each of Brewer's Gold, Hallertauer Mittlefruh, and Styrians.
(Plus 1kg Dark Candi Syrup per batch, for those that want it)

The Wee-Heavy & the one we did at Wayne's place were both calculated at 75% efficiency & we actually achieved MUCH better than that with the same suite of gear, so don't be surprised if it's high-'70's or more. We're obviously getting better at this lark!

Can the CleverBrewing Guy provide the grains? I think i'll be able to cover the Melanoiden myself, but the other 150kg (may end up being 200kg given the Wee Heavy grist) will need to be purchased i believe.

Yep, that tosser from Smartarse Brewing will do as he's bloody-well told, or I'll give him a nipple-cripple until he acquiesces to our demands. Prices are TBA, but it'll be better than normal retail, given the size of the order. Bear in mind that Belgian malts will be kinda exy......

Can Hopdealz provide the hops required? If so, can you obtain all of them, Jesse? Otherwise is there anything you'd suggest for subs?

Obviously we'll need to work out a per-cube cost for this. i believe generally ~$20-35 has been the previous few case swaps.

Any other things i need to start covering here?
I can break-down my brewery & bring-along a HEX, Pump & STC for at least one of the mash tuns (all cam-locks) & hoses. Idzy obviously has one for his. Can't remember Wayne's camlock orientation. Maybe we just leave the third one to do its' own thing? There's always been a balance between getting the fermentables out of 1-2 mash tuns & the dextrins out of the 3rd.

Definitely!
The aim is to have everything set up Friday. Run water through it to test. Possibly/probably even heat water Friday night for an early strike Saturday morning.

So the plan is to rally/bully/cajole/plead those contributors of gear & ingredients to be there Friday night and we'll set it all up then.

Friday
Set up- RIS evaluation

Saturday
Brew- Beer evaluation- Swap- Eat- Bullshit

Sunday
Clean up- Recover- Go Home

And if recovering is what Martin was doing last time I saw him, I'd rather skip it and continue drinking.

Optimistically, if we could squeeze the brew out ASAP, I'd hope to do the majority clean up Saturday night, while no one can feel the pain. At least the normal emptying of the MTs, plus flush everything with water.

And RIS *after* setup!!

Alrighty, Thanks Stu, just the push we needed.

Friday night setup is fine, the whole weekend is allocated to as said.

Brew area is simply a carport - I have racking out the kazoo so stands will be made as required, dont stress it, we will be able to achieve what ever is needed, promise. Power points in carport and around the corner, so no problems with that - all 20 amp too :)

How is money collected traditionally? For food and ingredients etc.... I am happy to cover things and collect coin on the day? As long as it is not thousands....

BTW: I am on 23 acres so camping is welcome, not much level ground but I am sure you will be able to find a little get away somewhere.

Ok, who wants to get 100 internet points and be minister in charge of catering?

I have a 76L mash tun and HLT - not element, use OTS + a 98L kettle with 3x 2400w elements and all hosing to suit, if needed.

Latest posts

Back