Vegie Garden Spring/summer Harvest Brag Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Things are starting to come in from my patch

5 varieties of toms, clockwise from the Juanne Flammee's on the plate, Cherokee Purple, 2 Gregoris Altai, a Polish Dwarf and a Grubs Mystery Green

Bench.jpg

Garlic harvest from my first semi serious attempt at growing it. Two leeks were in with them and I didnt even know. They went into a potato and leek soup thats bubbling on the stove at the moment.

Garlic.jpg

Post some pics folks and show us your patch :icon_cheers:

Ah lucky buggers down South, I'm having to switch to summer tropical crops like Okra, snake beans and various subtropical Chinese greens as it's very hard to grow Euro style veg here in the summer. However the eggplants are going berserk. I picked a bucket the other day and there's still a bucket left on the plant. Yes I only have one plant, they are perennial - which I never realised.

eggies_2__Large_.jpg
eggies_3__Large_.jpg

Baba Ganouch and turkish bread for brekkie
Moussaka for dinner
Ratatouille at other times :D

GAH! you guys are going to make me weep.
my patch is still under construction and its almost summer!

Good thread,

Have got the regular Sweet Corn that has just thrown their heads, beetroot that's ready to harvest, summer lettuce, a couple of cucumber vines that have started to flower, best crop of strawbs that we've had for a while, and the first few tommy's that'd just come in, and mint that's taken over one end. Bit short on 'nanas this year but a couple of bunches that'll keep us going for a while.

But alas,...... the hops look like failing me yet again, painfully slow growth with slim prospects for cones despite what appears to be healthy growth in the rhizome.

Beetroot harvest from today. These were from a mixed punnet I got a few months ago

021.JPG

Not sure how I am going to store them after they are boiled

Beetroot harvest from today. These were from a mixed punnet I got a few months ago

View attachment 33255

Pickle them.

Boil a cup of white vinegar, a tablespoon of sugar, teaspoon of salt and some spices (peppercorns, cloves, mace, chilli etc) for 3 mins. Cool and pour over beetroot. Will store for months that way. You may need to make up a double (or tripple or more) batch depending on how much beetroot you have. If you don't like it so vinegary, cut the mix 50/50 with water and add some extra sugar. Won't keep as long but its good for people who don't like or can't cope with the straight vinegar.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks, I went with the half vinegar half water and some sugar, and have them stored in the shed fridge. :icon_cheers:

The tommys are coming in strong now

2_12_09.jpg

A batch of relish is on the way this weekend me thinks. Made a small batch of spicy relish with 3kg of tomatoes last weekend and half a jar was gone that day. A real winner with the girls. The recipe calls for one habenero per kilo of tomatoes but I didnt have any, so I threw in some hab powder I made a couple of years ago, and gave the relish a real kick.

One day ours will grow and turn red just like yours.

While we are waiting we don't have to cope with the temperatures that you do.

(Mrs) I like beer

Haha, Portland isnt it

Dont worry, you will have tomatoes long after mine have finished, although I have a few plants outside the greenhouse/shadehouse that might give some later fruit. Thats if we dont get any of those 45C days that kill plants dead

nice thread mantis, the wifey is the gardener but i built the garden..

we've got capsicum, toms, cucumbers, spring onions, corn, squash, zuchinis, pumpkin, peas, beans and rock/watermelons

100_2400.JPG

we've got 1 bed in at 6m X 2m at the moment, more to come when i get the time :)

cheers
Dave

nice thread mantis, the wifey is the gardener but i built the garden..

we've got capsicum, toms, cucumbers, spring onions, corn, squash, zuchinis, pumpkin, peas, beans and rock/watermelons

View attachment 33805

we've got 1 bed in at 6m X 2m at the moment, more to come when i get the time :)

cheers
Dave

Looks great Dave
I would love to have that much space but the wifey here has hundreds of those woody weeds (roses) all over the yard, so I have to pinch what ground I can ;)

I dont have anything to harvest yet but my Toms are going well.

Ox hearts

OxHeart.jpg

Purple Choroke

PurpleCheroke.jpg

I have many Roma's going too... some almost ripe. I have lost a heap of them to holes developng in them over night. I went out the other night and caufht a grub.... about an inch ling, with his arse hanging out of a tomatoe as he burrowed in.

It died a slow and pinfill death!... as did the other 2 i found on the plants.

I have 2 Toms Yellow Wonders that are aboout to bear fruit as well.

If i can get just a few from each plant i will be happy

cheers and thanks for the seeds Mantis :)

I have many Roma's going too... some almost ripe. I have lost a heap of them to holes developng in them over night. I went out the other night and caufht a grub.... about an inch ling, with his arse hanging out of a tomatoe as he burrowed in.

It died a slow and pinfill death!... as did the other 2 i found on the plants.

Bloody things eh Tony. I lost 5 roma's and about 20 cherrys this morning to these damn caterpillars also. Picked off about five grubs and three were half in/half out of the tomato's. Turns out it's from a moth... a tomato moth.... little turds. I jumped online and bought 2 x four tier ( plastic ) green houses. Cheap as from crazy sales. One for tomato's and one for chilli. That should take care of that for my new seed sowing session tomorrow. For now a two day nuking of white oil seems to be controlling them and the damn white fly...grrrrr

I have lost a couple of fruit to grubs as well but havent found any of the critters yet. Getting more fruit than I need anyway so alls good.

Edit: You will like the Cherokee Purples Tony. They are probably my favourite and a million yanks cant be all wrong

Bloody things eh Tony. I lost 5 roma's and about 20 cherrys this morning to these damn caterpillars also. Picked off about five grubs and three were half in/half out of the tomato's. Turns out it's from a moth... a tomato moth.... little turds. I jumped online and bought 2 x four tier ( plastic ) green houses. Cheap as from crazy sales. One for tomato's and one for chilli. That should take care of that for my new seed sowing session tomorrow. For now a two day nuking of white oil seems to be controlling them and the damn white fly...grrrrr

G'day cube what are those plastic green houses your on about? Got a link or a pic?
Cheers
Steve

View attachment 33255

This is the recipe that I have usd for the last couple of years.
I actually eat beetroot, now never use to eat tinned stuff before.

1 1/2 cups white vinegar
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp peppercorns
1 bay leaf
2 cloves
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp salt
Place all ingrdients in saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Strain* and pour over the beetroot that have been cooked, peeled, cut** and placed in jars.

* I never strain, just leave the floaters in.
**The recipe says julienne, but I preferit a bit chunkier so tend to quarter or eighth them. We don't usually have beetroot in sandwiches so I dont bother sliceing them.

Mrs I like beer

G'day cube what are those plastic green houses your on about? Got a link or a pic?
Cheers
Steve

These will be easily made out of lengths of plumbing or cable piping and angles and T Piece fittings to suit any size or shape wanted/needed. The plastic could be anything I guess. I got two arriving tomorrow hopefully and will most likely extend the height of them between the levels for the Chilli's but just grow bushier and roma plants in one as they are smaller and bushier plants. Some cherries I have going now will fill the whole thing when fully growen :super:
Linky here

Here is a pic:

green_house.jpg

I brew beer and hunt meat....my wife does this ;)

View attachment 34005View attachment 34006
View attachment 34007

There is:

Silverbeet
Potatoes
Pumpkins
Zuchinis
Leeks
Red Onions
White Onions
Brussel sprouts
Cabbages
Broccoli
Coss Lettuce
Ice berg Lettuce
Braod beans
Snow peas
Green Peas
Sugar snaps
Runner beans
Carrots
Cellery
Dycon Radish
Normal Radish
Sweet corn

Plumbs
Raspberrys
Red currents
Black currents
Strawberrys
Rhubarb

Mint, Dill, Garlic, Chives, Oregano, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Parsley, Italian flat parsley, Chervil, Bay.

Latest posts

Back