Vegemite and Ribena?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zarniwoop said:
Not wanting to get into a discussion about the social issues
Good luck with that.

"Type 2 diabetes from drinking homebrew", LOL. Do they mean because of residual sugars being consumed in large volumes???

Can see Newman and Blieche banning them from QLD and making anyone who owns or sells wear pink overalls

DJ_L3ThAL said:
"Type 2 diabetes from drinking homebrew", LOL. Do they mean because of residual sugars being consumed in large volumes???

I have searched for that quote in the article and cannot find it...

Are you playing Murdoch media games and making up quotes by paraphrasing statements in order to raise public indignation?

Full quote from article is below

He says local health and community service staff see the homebrew, which is heavy in sugar and carbohydrates, as the biggest health risk for local people.

"The ingredients that go into the bastardised homebrew are going to create [a] long-term problem ... particularly issues like type 2 diabetes," he said.

"Type 2 diabetes is already an issue in many of our communities. The increase in prevalence of homebrew and the consumption of homebrew in remote communities will further contribute to that."

I have searched for that quote in the article and cannot find it...

Are you playing Murdoch media games and making up quotes by paraphrasing statements in order to raise public indignation?

Your powers of observation are lacking, young Padawan :p

Full quote from article is below

He says local health and community service staff see the homebrew, which is heavy in sugar and carbohydrates, as the biggest health risk for local people.

"The ingredients that go into the bastardised homebrew are going to create [a] long-term problem ... particularly issues like type 2 diabetes," he said.

"Type 2 diabetes is already an issue in many of our communities. The increase in prevalence of homebrew and the consumption of homebrew in remote communities will further contribute to that."

Anyone shed light on the validity of the statement?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Anyone shed light on the validity of the statement?
I'd be inclined to give the source the benefit of the doubt and assume a misquote. They probably meant something more along these lines: http://www.diabetesvic.org.au/type-2-diabetes/healthy-eating/alcohol-a-diabetes This combined with the fact that diabetes is 3 times more prevalent in the indigenous community than in the rest of Australia ( http://www.aihw.gov.au/diabetes/populations-of-interest/ ) and you start to see reason for concern (on top of the more obvious issues).

No, I am referring to this quote,
DJ_L3ThAL said:
"Type 2 diabetes from drinking homebrew",
Being enclosed in quotation marks indicates it is taken from direct speech.
Paraphrase if you wish, just don't cal it a direct quote.

Back on topic,
Has Selwyn Button, from the Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Council, the only member from said Council to have raised this opinion, been lobbied by Big Booze to lift the alcohol sale restrictions in these communities?

Reminds me from years ago of the heroin de-criminalisation lobby claiming addicts were shooting up vegemite and household cleaners in order to get a hit, and that would put greater burdens on the Health System

Wowee, it's not like it's a 400 page journal and you need to copy paste and word search to locate. I would expect most people can understand what I meant. Can't edit it for you anymore either, so sorry about that.

To be fair Murdoch media would be more like:

Homebrew: Diabetes Time Bomb!

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

nu_brew said:
To be fair Murdoch media would be more like:

Homebrew: Diabetes Time Bomb!

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer
Yeah or "STOP THE VEGEMITE".. "SEND IN THE DIABETES" that kind of thing

At least it isn't as bad as jail Pruno... now that is rank. Vegemite ribena and bread yeast would be superior to that!

I wonder if you'd get busted living in a dry area for having a bag of malt, mashtun, fermenter and brewers yeast? I know you could apply for a permit in some communities to be able to have alcohol around the house, but it was a bit socially unacceptable to actually have one

NewtownClown said:
Back on topic,
Has Selwyn Button, from the Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Council, the only member from said Council to have raised this opinion, been lobbied by Big Booze to lift the alcohol sale restrictions in these communities?

Reminds me from years ago of the heroin de-criminalisation lobby claiming addicts were shooting up vegemite and household cleaners in order to get a hit, and that would put greater burdens on the Health Syste

Wow. Now that is fuzzing the line between cynical and paranoid.

Back