Vb Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFAIK most mainstream Fosters Group products apart from Carlton Crown do not have hops boiled in with the wort but, instead, use a separately produced hop extract.

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:QlUwH...;cd=1&gl=au

I believe they developed this in the 1970s in response to variable hop quality at that time. This probably accounts for the bitter 'twang' of VB and one would expect the cheaper kits with their ISO hop bitterness to mimic that VB 'twang'.

Eventually I'll get round to touring the huge Fosters Complex at Yatala and will ask the question while I'm there! Have any SEQ forum members reading this been on the tour? maybe we could get a group together? When I'm in a better position timewise I'll post separately on that idea.

all crown lager is, is fosters that has been lagered a bit longer to smooth it out more.

And the best cold beer is vic. Even says so on the bottle.

And the best cold beer is vic. Even says so on the bottle.

It must be true :D

seriously, you'd probably have a better chance converting your VB drinker mates to beer drinkers (haha see what i did there :p) than you would finding something similar. otherwise i'm guessing a standard lager can & lager yeast, extra bittering hops (better to go over, i'm guessing VB drinkers wouldn't admit to not liking a brew for being too bitter as it may be a sign of weakness)

Yeah, it would've been better than some of the early ones, but no match for anything lately :)

I was just being an ass. I'd still drink free VB. It's cold and beer-like. It's also much better than any of the low-carb offerings out there.

I was once stuck out of Australia for 6 months due to immigration issues (being Canadian-born), and was never happier to see and have a few VB's on the plane-ride back home.

Cheers

Maybe we could all take turns pissing in the fermenter? Should be authentic enough.

oh god your so funny mate, i bet VB shits all over ya homebrew mate.

im still wiping away the tears of laughter :lol: but i have brewed a megaswill clone for my mates & they loved it morgans canadian light & 1KG dextrose they compared it to millers which they consided a compliment :lol:

This thread is too funny. :lol:

It may be cool to bag the commercials in here,but in truth I'd like to see those doing the bagging produce such a widely sold product.
Eat shit, millions of flies couldn't be wrong. :p

The toucan homebrand lager recipe would be close I reckon.
Or a toucan mix of coopers lager/bitter.
Or just try a bitter & Brew enhancer 2 mix with a coopers bitter.

Have a look at the country brewer site's recipes.

I just wouldn't try too hard to clone this, but each to their own.... I'll drink free vb too, by the way. Probably will be tomorrow night at work drinks. :icon_drunk:

im sure i'll get alot of backlash.
but i love my toheeys new.
whats a kit clone for toheeys new?

im sure i'll get alot of backlash.
but i love my toheeys new.
whats a kit clone for toheeys new?

I haven't tried these yet but will probably in the future, as I used to be a "megaswill" Tooheys New drinker :ph34r: :unsure: :ph34r:

The first kit I ever put down (I'm only onto my 9th now) was Tooheys Special Draught with 1kg of Dex.
Still have some left, a little watery, could do with some LDME, but it drinks OK for Tooheys New replacement.

Here are the other recipes

Brew Cellar

Coopers Lager Kit
1kg Brew Cellar #11 Booster Blend
12g Pride Of Ringwood
Premuim Lager Yeast
12-15deg
4.6%alc

Morgan's

Morgan's Australian Lager
1kg Dry Body Blend
No hops
OG 1039
FG 1009
Colour 7.1ebc
4.6%alc

A bit off topic but my brew's keep coming up like a LCPA when all I really want is a FIJI lager..... anyone? :p

Seriously though, IF you wanna brew something I hope you find the way to do that!!

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Vic bitter ranked number 8 from 30 of Australias best beers. After reading todays Melbourne Herald sun found this would be a worth while addition to post up.

The sad thing is, there's many beers that are much worse than VB. Carlton Cold? Tooheys Extra? :)

I'd take the North American megaswill brands over Aussie ones any day. Bring on the rice and corn, at least they're missing the old sock flavour...

Off to the belgian beer bar for Chimay on tap. YEAH.

Vic bitter ranked number 8 from 30 of Australias best beers. After reading todays Melbourne Herald sun found this would be a worth while addition to post up.
Very interested to hear:
1) what beers VB beat?
2) who judged this?

Must check the HS I guess.

I reckon a Morgans Blue Mountains Lager, 500g light DME and 500g dextrose would come ~close~ to VB. Ferment with a S-23 lager yeast at 14-15 for 10 days, then crash cool at -5C for a week, then seriously overcarbonate and serve below 0C. I made a beer like that once for a dude in a golf group I used play with when I heard he doesn't like dark beer. Came out OK-ish.

However, I do agree with the sentiments of most of the VB bashers in this thread. It's a terrible beer.

Back