Vb Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenk

Reaction score
Hey guys... i want a easy VB clone for K&K adding hops and extra fermntables dont bother me. so shoot ya recipes at me cause i have some very eger VB drinking mates wanting a nice VB on tap.

no grains and no extract brews please just kits.

and if i get neg feedback about aw just taste ya cats piss i dont want to hear your rif raf because i enjoy the beer!

cheers steve :D

ooooo, mate, this is probably the wrong forum to ask for a recipe for 'that beer'...
seriously, im not gonna have a go (i'll leave that for those far better at it than i), but you are really asking for it...
be prepared...

Lobby

In my opinion (without commenting on what I think of VB ;) ) is that it is very difficult to make anything like VB using K&K, or All Grain for that matter!
The process/ingredients/chemicals used by said megabrewery are beyond your capability as a homebrewer, particularly with K&K.
Not meening to rain on your parade, I'm just trying to give you some warning that whatever recipe you do get offered, don't expect an exact clone of VB!

Alternatively, do your mates like Coopers Pale?
Now that is A LOT easier to clone than VB, with some good recipes to be found on this site.

There are probably a thousand answers to this question, none of which you want to hear. :lol:

Simple answer is if you want a VB clone from K&K you are not gonna get it.

But you can brew something of a... err... similar qualitative nature by grabbing a can of light extract (like Coopers Lager) and then adding 500g LME and 500g sugar. Ferment with a lager yeast at 13-15deg. No late hops needed. Still won't be a clone but tell ya mates if they don't like it, the bottlo's down the road!

yeah, you pretty much suck mate.
nah, just kidding :p

if yer at all flexible to at least steeping grains pre-boil & boiling w/hops, I can get you somewhat close, in terms of recipe only. lots of variables like sanitation, temp control, your willingness to actually brew to the best of your ability, etc. that can make or break your mates accepting something like VB.

no grains and no extract brews please just kits.

start with a LHBS?

unfortunatley, at least in my experience, VB drinkers tend to be a motley crew and unless you really know what yer doing in brewing and go the whole hog from start to finish, they'll push it away faster than shit.

reVox

haha no worries boys thanks for the help

does anybody no what hop flavour/aroma \ bitterness VB use ??

cheers

1 x 1.7kg kit brew doesn't really matter
1kg of some sort of sugar doesn't really matter
yeast what ever is in the cupboard doesnt really matter
pitch at 27*
Ferment in the sun
Don't worry about cleaning or sanitizing and you should get even closer to VB.
Sorry I could not resist. B)

But seriously-- are you prepared to add some hops, will you boil at all?

haha no worries boys thanks for the help

cheers

:lol: :lol: flavour/aroma??? :lol: :lol:

without ACTUALLY knowing, im gonna take an educated guess at Pride of Ringwood. Its a generic australian bittering hop, next to no flavour/aroma to speak of. (I'm actively NOT commenting on how to achieve the actual flavour/aroma found in VB)

Lobby

Country brewer says cluster hops for flavouring. They have a VB style homebrew under recipes (Commercial Styles - Australian).

:lol: :lol: flavour/aroma??? :lol: :lol:

without ACTUALLY knowing, im gonna take an educated guess at Pride of Ringwood. Its a generic australian bittering hop, next to no flavour/aroma to speak of. (I'm actively NOT commenting on how to achieve the actual flavour/aroma found in VB)

Lobby

A few months ago I was grabbing some POR hops from one of the local HBS guys and he told me "Thats a nice hop that one, thats what they use in VB" but I still bought it and used for bittering a nice sparkling ale.

cheers

Hallertauer only@ 27IBU's (approx.) bittering only. skip flavour/aroma.. you don't want any as none exist in the original.

reVox

oh, here's a couple pics of my crack at a VB clone:

vb_clone.jpg

vb_forgotten.jpg

I found 27IBU's was pretty much spot on, and was really happy with the hop character overall, however the beer lacked the same carbonic bite as a VB. As suggestion, I'd ramp up the Hallertauer to around 33IBU's (to compensate). This was force carbed and on tap for a couple of weeks before pics.

reVox

edit: my 500th post and it was about VB!! for the love of all things holy
pee.gif

Hi Stephen I am pretty sure that Grain and Grape in Melbourne have a VB style recipe on their website for both kits and malt extract.

I must admit I will only use VB to put out fires on the barby

BUT

I do have a couple of definetly non tried recipes straight from a Morgan's, Brew Cellar and Brewcraft pamphlet that might help

Here we go:-

Morgan's

Morgan's Australian Bitter Kit
1kg Dry Body Blend
250g Dex
12g Goldings
OG 1041
FG 1009
Colour 7.1 ebc
Alc 4.9%

Brew Cellar

Morgan's Australian Bitter Kit
1kg Brew Cellar #10 Body Blend
250g Dextrose
12g Pride Of Ringwood
Yeast-Premium Lager
Brew Temp-12-15deg
Alc 4.9%

Brewcraft

Beermakers Draught Kit
#42 Brewblend
Yeast-Saflager
Final Volume-21 Litres

Maybe we could all take turns pissing in the fermenter? Should be authentic enough.

I've always thought VB tasted like what I imagine sweaty old socks would be like.

"0 Minutes - Dry Socked in secondary"

VB hmmm,I'd rather drink it then many homebrewers attempts at a better beer.It may be cool to bag the commercials in here,but in truth I'd like to see those doing the bagging produce such a widely sold product.

I don't enjoy VB these days,but still did in my early attempts at craftbrewing.I'll not insult anyone offering me a cold beer after work .Imagine saying to a customer...no thanks"I don't drink it",its megaswill,a beer is a beer.

When people get into Homebrewing as opposed to craftbrewing,they think their beer cooked at 28c tastes better.But in reality it's foul tasting cider they think is beer.Give me a VB please.

So just because you add yeast to wort doesn't make better beer then the "megaswills", a few love to denounce.

I'm over people bagging a product many used for years without a complaint!

Steve,
Too simple - just go and buy two cans of Homebrand lager, put them in the fermenter up to 23 litres and add both packs of yeast.

Should do the trick if you don't want to add any fancy stuff but still want a drinkable beer for your mates.

Just tell them you got the secret VB homebrew recipe off this website and I am sure they will like it.

Matt

meh... wasting your time.
Even if you bought a carton of VB, stuffed it in your keg and said you made it, people who "Only drink VB" can always "taste the difference"

Having said that, Ive never had a VB drinker complain too much about a reasonable home brew Pilsner. Just dont throw in too much Saaz:)
"Yeah, its not as nice as VB, mate, but its not bad for home brew"
;)
OK.

I have just sucessfully attempted to extract my Cats Piss.

I am going to bottle it and try to sell on Ebay as "Pride of VB extract", just add to homebrew kit :D

I grew up on mega swill but am proud to say never forked out hard earned on VB, maybe melbourne if I felt like a bitter!! My wife is a serial mega-swill drinker, but I have her with a good coopers euro kit with 10g dry hop hallaretu.

P.S. for those drinkers up north, I am working on a pride of Tooheys and XXXX, but need to catch the dog first!

Back