Various Methods Of Wort (and Beer!) Aeration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolfman said:
Some great reading in this thread.

So how long do the people who use the aquarium pump with a filter aerate for? So far I've read 15 and 30.
I dropped min in last weekend and let it run on high for however long it took me to unload the washing machine and peg out the clothes. Probably 10 to 12 minutes.

I jam my pump in a old footy sock sprayed lightly with Iodophor solution.

Cutting edge am I.

Dave70 said:
I dropped min in last weekend and let it run on high for however long it took me to unload the washing machine and peg out the clothes. Probably 10 to 12 minutes.

I jam my pump in a old footy sock sprayed lightly with Iodophor solution.

Cutting edge am I.
Sweet. Gave it 15 lastnight and another 15 this arvo. See how it works out I surpose.

I've given up my aquarium pump for aerating my fermenter. Too much froth build up in too short a time.
I now give it a good thrashing with a paint mixer chucked in my drill.
About 1 to 2 minutes, and I reckon she's as good as done.

I do use my aquarium pump for my starters. I have all the bits, but am yet to build my stirplate. I don't use the airstone, but have a SS nut on the end of the pump hose to keep it at the bottom of my startter container (5 litre water bottle) in about 3 to 3½ litres of starter wort. I leave the pump running for about 12 to 15 hours, and it seems to result in about a 5 to 6 times growth from the original tube or smakpak. I'm happy with that.

Has anyone seen those things at the paint shop they use to blend 20 litre paint tins? Could be handy for doing a 5 min shake up...... I wonder if bunnings would let you take a fermenter in on a trolley :icon_cheers:

Byran said:
Has anyone seen those things at the paint shop they use to blend 20 litre paint tins? Could be handy for doing a 5 min shake up...... I wonder if bunnings would let you take a fermenter in on a trolley :icon_cheers:
Find an old bloke who looks like he took a job there to get him out of the house and you'll be set.

DrSmurto said:
I didn't miss it. I am saying that is sloppy experimental design. No zero point calibration.

Making a statement that 55-65% DO is adding during transfer is hand waving at best, an outright guess more accurately since no DO measurement of the boiled, cooled water BEFORE transfer was taken.

Sloppy work.
I remember Fred talking about this experiment on BBR and I was also surprised about the high initial DO levels. I helped him troubleshoot the issue by boiling water and immediately sealing it in a canning jar w/o any air. That allowed it to cool w/o any O2 pickup. In the end it turned out that the DO meter was not calibrated properly.

Kai

MaltyHops said:
Greetings Kai,

Sort of off topic but want to compliment you on your Braukaiser.com site :beerbang:
and great to see you here.
This is probably the best resource I've seen for brewing terminology and methodology.

When I started I was thinking "what the hell is whirlpooling and decoction"
Not only does this website explain all that, it has things like Drauflassen (?)

There goes my weekend.

Thanks for the link.

Gday Gents,

Ive borrowed a small oxygen cylidner from work and brought a fitting that connects to the regulator and allows me to attach a small hose and airstone so I can start aerating my wort.

I know we want about 1 min of oxygen in the fermenter but what setting do you guys have you regulator set at or wont it really matter that much? I was thinking to just leave it around 100kpa.

You have to drop your stone in the fermenter and set it so you have a stream of fine bubbles that are just breaking the surface. any more and you are wasting oxygen.

browndog said:
You have to drop your stone in the fermenter and set it so you have a stream of fine bubbles that are just breaking the surface. any more and you are wasting oxygen.
Cheers mate, will play around with the reg until I get a fine stream and leave it at that.

Latest posts

Back