Various Methods Of Wort (and Beer!) Aeration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice effort to format that so it looks like a scientific paper. <_<

The one and only reference is a book written by a homebrewer? :huh:

I'd be taking that 'essay' with a large grain of salt.

I must say those nasty reviewers at the journals I submit to like more than 1 reference to be sure......... :p

or you can ignore oxygen and go for olive oil :ph34r:

You are brave writing that on this forum!Surprised you didn't get shot down ; )Been reading about this, have you ever tried it??Very interested to hear about people's results. Seems almost too good to be true...

You are brave writing that on this forum!Surprised you didn't get shot down ; )Been reading about this, have you ever tried it??Very interested to hear about people's results. Seems almost too good to be true...

A few people seemed to have tried the olive oil method reasonably effectively.

Have a little search for olive oil on here, there's a few threads on the topic.

I've got 2 now (the APA and the American Wheat) that I've done with Olive oil, the APA have 2 kegs, 1 with olive oil and one with shaking, I've only just kegged the olive oil one so can't do a fair comparison yet. The FG were within a point (olive oil lower). the american wheat I think I tast a diff but as I killed the first keg it's "unknown"

According to the Yeast book, most DO is used up during the first 24 hours during the yeast multiplication phase so it's often a good idea to introduce a further burst of oxygen at this stage to prevent the multiplication stalling. Traditional methods include double dropping and drauflassen.

As butters used to say, I thrash mine like an English Nanny. Not to mention the wort :p
Gday BG, any concerns about risk of airborne infections doing this?
Obviuosly you'd sanitise the thrasher as much as possible but you'd
be waving your arm above an open fermenter.

Gday BG, any concerns about risk of airborne infections doing this?
Obviuosly you'd sanitise the thrasher as much as possible but you'd
be waving your arm above an open fermenter.

Before buying an O2 setup i use to do this when using english yeasts, particularly the west yorky. Now i just give the wort another 60secs of O2 after 12 hours.

Before buying an O2 setup i use to do this when using english yeasts, particularly the west yorky. Now i just give the wort another 60secs of O2 after 12 hours.

2nd O2 squirt like this seems to get me ~3 points of gravity lower at finishing

I might well get in O2 aeration at some stage but will have to make do
with the best/most practical of the rest in the mean time.

How much would a basic O2 setup run and where would you get one?

I have the book yeast and there was a chapter/section on olive oil, I have not used it but you don't have to use much (a teaspoon was way to much from memory) and its in the pantry so I may have to chuck some in my next brew but I will still be oxygenating it, just because you use one method does not mean you cant still do the other. If the olive oil helps out a little bit and/or creates a happier environment for the yeast its got to be good. I was not here for the olive oil debates why did not like adding olive oil?

Have a bit of a search for olive oil and there's a few threads on it.

As for amount to use, get the very smallest tiniest amount possible.

For some reason 50mg comes to my mind, but i havent had a read into it for a while

Have a bit of a search for olive oil and there's a few threads on it.

As for amount to use, get the very smallest tiniest amount possible.

For some reason 50mg comes to my mind, but i havent had a read into it for a while

I used a skewer dipped in oil about 1cm (no bubble or the like just the coating on the skewer) to mix/re-hydrate the yeast in a separate container.

How much would a basic O2 setup run and where would you get one?

Just a couple of options:

I am led to belive that MHB sells a good bit of kit. Apparently the bottle lasts longer than the disposables available as special order from Bunnings (not compatible with this kit). http://www.ubrew.com.au/web/showproductlis...amp;subcatid=13

Something like this will fit onto the disposable cylinders available from the big green shed. http://morebeer.com/view_product/16604/102..._Partial_System

Does adding pure oxygen cause oxidation of wort?

I imagine that pumping proteins/sugar full of nitrogen-poor gas (ie pure oxygen) would be detrimental in causing staling of the wort??

Never had a problem reaching FG without any sort of airation myself. Perhaps the 50-60% DO as presented above is all that is needed in the HB setting?

Ala

You want to oxygenate wort. You do not want to oxidise beer.

You want to oxygenate wort. You do not want to oxidise beer.
You do not want to oxygenate/oxidise hot wort. :D

Never had a problem reaching FG myself, (to my mind) but find I can get lower FG with O2 than that which I was accustomed to.

For those who double oxygenate after 12 hours - do you keep your stone/wand in the wort between doses or do you remove it.

I always insert mine with oxygen pumping through as I'm paranoid of wort entering the stone and would remove it between doses, but interested what others do?

For those who double oxygenate after 12 hours - do you keep your stone/wand in the wort between doses or do you remove it.

I always insert mine with oxygen pumping through as I'm paranoid of wort entering the stone and would remove it between doses, but interested what others do?

Never leave the stone immersed in a liquid without the gas flowing, easiest way to block it up.

I give my english beers 2 shots of O2, 12 hours apart.

I turn the O2 on, drop the stone in starsan to sanitise and adjust gas flow, drop in to wort for 60 secs, into water to clean then into starsan. Only after it is removed from the starsan do i switch the gas flow off. Allow to dry and then store in a bag until next use. Even if the time between uses is only 12 hours i still follow this routine.

Pretty similar to what I do then. My stone is firmly attached to a long stainless wand (from morebeer), so I go over both the stone and wand with a flame torch until both are really hot, connect O2 and turn on, drop into wort.
Remove with oxygen on, dip into star san, dry lightly with a paper towel, turn O2 off and remove reg from bottle, flame torch, cover in tin foil.

Will try the 2nd O2 dose next time to see if it makes any difference.

Some great reading in this thread.

So how long do the people who use the aquarium pump with a filter aerate for? So far I've read 15 and 30.

Latest posts

Back