Variable Speed Controller For Ac Brushless Motor (procon Pump)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel.lear

Reaction score
All,

I intend to install a procon pump into my upcoming HERMS brewery upgrade. The issue i have (apart from the many others...) is that I feel it will be too powerful for my application and will compact the grain bed during recirc. I would like to have the ability to increase its OP to full power for the purposes cleaning/moving fluids around/chilling etc.

Can any one recomend an off the self controller, or has circuit diag./plans for the contruction of a controller.

Naturally a frequency controller is best, but other options considered.

If all else fails i will set up a recirc cycle for the pump, however i would like an electrical solution if possible.

Cheers

Leary

If you have the magnetic drive pump like the one I have, you don't need a speed controller, you can just throttle the pump outlet with a valve. A simple ball valve will be a lot cheaper and less fiddly than motor control.

All,

I intend to install a procon pump into my upcoming HERMS brewery upgrade. The issue i have (apart from the many others...) is that I feel it will be too powerful for my application and will compact the grain bed during recirc. I would like to have the ability to increase its OP to full power for the purposes cleaning/moving fluids around/chilling etc.

Can any one recomend an off the self controller, or has circuit diag./plans for the contruction of a controller.

Naturally a frequency controller is best, but other options considered.

If all else fails i will set up a recirc cycle for the pump, however i would like an electrical solution if possible.

Cheers

Leary

Gday what voltage is your pump, a varible resistor is only a couple of dollars

I intend to install a procon pump into my upcoming HERMS brewery upgrade.

Ok.........

:huh:

Think maybe you need to read more on HERMS design and use. It's normal to recirc wort through the Heat Exchanger to maintain mash temp, and to ramp mash temps for step mashing. Backing off the pump outlet valve maintains pump prime and reduces flow rate. You're sweating the small stuff.

Screwy

:huh:

Think maybe you need to read more on HERMS design and use. It's normal to recirc wort through the Heat Exchanger to maintain mash temp, and to ramp mash temps for step mashing. Backing off the pump outlet valve maintains pump prime and reduces flow rate. You're sweating the small stuff.

Screwy

Ok, so I am aware that the"R" in HERMS stands for recirculate, I was refering to the addition of a bypass loop on the pump, as this would allow the pump to operate at its intended capacity/pressure, but keeping the total system flow down as well as keeping the pump temperature low also.

The reason I am even bothering is the march pumps which everyone seems to use are rated at about 7gpm? where as my procon pump is rated at 15gpm. With this significant increase in flow/pressure, I am concerend about grain bed compaction.

If anyone is using a procon pump or pump with this amount of OP could they please advise if these concerns are warranted?

Cheers

Leary

I have no idea on the details of your particular pump, nor can I vouch for the suitability of these controllers, but here's a couple of ideas from the trusty Jaycar catalogue:

Prebuilt, no box, 600W (1200W max):
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0346

Kit, box, 2300W:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5478

Gulf, thanks but I wish it were that easy. These types of controllers are suited to brushed motors, like in your power drill for example. The motor attached to my pump is a single phase induction motor. What I need is a VSD/VFD type controller. These are frequency based controllers.

An induction motors speed is dircetly linked to the supply frequency. By changing the supply frequency (50hzin Aust.) higher or lower, maintaining voltage and current levels, you can vary the speed. (Albeit not real well in single phase motors, works best with 3 phase motors.)

I should have been clearer as to what sort of motor I was using in the OP, my bad.

Cheers

Leary

As you've mentioned, VSD is the way to go. Better still, throttle it with a ball valve. The additional heat/load on the pump is hardly going to be an issue.
The other problem you're going to face with your centrifugal pump is that as the speed decreases the flow from the pump drops off quite sharply, so to get your required flow I think you'll need all the electricky that a full functioning VSD has.

Procon is a positive displacement pump (al la esprsso machine)?
As you appear aware if it is a spill/bypass system or speed conrol is the only way (I think) to reduce the flow. Throttle on the outlet won't really cut it.

My bad, presumed that it was just another centrifugal pump. So yeah, forget the throttle idea.
Don't see the throttle/bypass idea working real well either, pressure is inherently lazy and will take the path of least resistance. I've heard bad things about that idea.
Perhaps there's a reason everyone uses March pump's ? Hmmmm.

Back