Vanilla Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyo76

Reaction score
Hey Guys.
I'm looking at Brewing an Extract Porter and adding Vanilla. I'm thinking of adding Vanilla pods/seeds or extract at about 5mins towards end of boil. Has anyone experimented with this if so what do you recommend and what quantity? I've brewed it before and it wasn't great, hoping to nail it this time. Cheers.

I scrapped out three pods and added them at the end of the boil. I either bottled it to early or something else went wrong as they were pretty much all head. Flavour was not bad but not enough vanilla coming through.

I would think a pod into the fermenter would have better results, but I am only postulating, never having done it myself.

Pod in boil at 5-10min and in secondary.
You could also search vanilla. Youd be amazed what comes up...

Thanks guys. I'll definitely try putting a pod or two in the fermenter this time as well as at end of boil. Doing a vanilla search now. Cheers!

Thanks RB that recipie looks great. Love the idea of soaking them in bourbon, great flavor and a good way to kill any bacteria. Cheers!

Sorry for the belated reply.

I racked 21lt of stout into a secondary with 3 split (down the middle) vanilla pods. Not nearly enough vanilla imo. It should have had maybe 5 pods, but then it had a litre of mint tea and 200gms of cocoa to compete with.

Hth.

Thanks Mr V. I put 4 split pods in at the end of the boil but I think I may put a couple in the secondary now also. Cheers!

Back