Vacuum Sealer For Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prongs_386

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

sorry if this has been posted before, I couldn't find any topics that helped too much.

I'm looking into getting a vacuum sealer to package my hops up. I currently have 2x 1kg packs of hops that I want to get split into packs of 80/40g??

Most of the sealers are designed for storing meat etc so not really meant for small packs. The cheapest option seems to be http://www.crazysales.com.au/vacuum-sealer...;utm_medium=cpc but I think the bags would be quite expensive and not size customisable..

I'm looking at just grabbing something off ebay for around $70 but I just wanted everyone's opinion on this.

The other thing I thought about is keeping the hops in one bag which has a ziplock or something and then taking what I need when it comes to brew time, then just re-vacuuming it.. but would the constant air exposure to the hops be a bit dodgy??

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can provide.

Hi everyone,

sorry if this has been posted before, I couldn't find any topics that helped too much.

I'm looking into getting a vacuum sealer to package my hops up. I currently have 2x 1kg packs of hops that I want to get split into packs of 80/40g??

Most of the sealers are designed for storing meat etc so not really meant for small packs. The cheapest option seems to be http://www.crazysales.com.au/vacuum-sealer...;utm_medium=cpc but I think the bags would be quite expensive and not size customisable..

I'm looking at just grabbing something off ebay for around $70 but I just wanted everyone's opinion on this.

The other thing I thought about is keeping the hops in one bag which has a ziplock or something and then taking what I need when it comes to brew time, then just re-vacuuming it.. but would the constant air exposure to the hops be a bit dodgy??

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can provide.

Not sure of its the best or whatever, but I use this one

http://www.thepackagingcentre.com.au/

Bags are cheap for it. You normally can get them from ebay.

if you search on here for the same name there was some discussions a while back.

QldKev

yeah I've got one of those. Gotta say I'm not real impressed. It was OK at first, but now after a year or whatever, I find it's nearly impossible to get it to vacuum properly; and when it does it looses the vacuum as soon as push down to impulse seal the top. I basically just use it as a heat sealer now, works well enough for that :)

yeah I've got one of those. Gotta say I'm not real impressed. It was OK at first, but now after a year or whatever, I find it's nearly impossible to get it to vacuum properly

That kinda comment makes me feel better about "lashing out" and buying a top-of-the-line Sunbeam / Food Saver that needs the expensive bags with little channels in one face.

MD

Hi,
The missuz bought a vacuum sealer some time ago. It had two options, seal and vacuum & seal.
From memory the bags came in different widths, so you could cut a bag to size (if required) fill, vacuum, seal.
If it was the left over bit, seal the end then fill, vac., seal.
It wasn't that cheap but very practical and the bags that came with it were heavy duty.
We moved a short while ago and it is in one of those "not unpacked yet boxes".
Will try and get more info. when she gets home tonight.
Hope this is helpful
Cheers

yeah I've got one of those. Gotta say I'm not real impressed. It was OK at first, but now after a year or whatever, I find it's nearly impossible to get it to vacuum properly; and when it does it looses the vacuum as soon as push down to impulse seal the top. I basically just use it as a heat sealer now, works well enough for that :)
i got one as well, cant say id fault mine still going strong.
had the sunbeam as well. wasnt bad but i prefer this one

i got one as well, cant say id fault mine still going strong.

I've had one for around 3 1/2 years and sealed dozens of hops. It still works as well as the day I bought it, I must say I have been expecting it to die for a while now.

Batz

I have 2 of these, one i bought myself and one was given to me by another brewer after he upgraded to a 'good' one.

Both have the sucking power of a 90 year old, with asthma.

I suspect in the case of the one i bought that packing up all the homegrown hops caused a heap of lupilin to get inside the mechanics and block it up.

I have 2 of these, one i bought myself and one was given to me by another brewer after he upgraded to a 'good' one.

Both have the sucking power of a 90 year old, with asthma.

I suspect in the case of the one i bought that packing up all the homegrown hops caused a heap of lupilin to get inside the mechanics and block it up.

I had the same problem, take the back off and remove the vacuum nozzle, it comes out pretty easy, and deep inside you will find a piece if foam that acts as a filter, I ripped this out and put it all back together, sucks like a you know what now.
The foam was all blocked up with hop debris.

Andrew

I had the same problem, take the back off and remove the vacuum nozzle, it comes out pretty easy, and deep inside you will find a piece if foam that acts as a filter, I ripped this out and put it all back together, sucks like a you know what now.

Andrew

Cheers for the tip Andrew, will give that a bash.

You're a champion!

I posted a question about this the other other day. The vacuuming slowed right down, and then just stopped. I spoke to Chris (?) from the packaging centre and he was very helpful, but he suggested cleaning the filter, which I couldn't remove. Anyway, just tried your suggestion and it worked!!

Did you replace the filter at all?

You're a champion!

I posted a question about this the other other day. The vacuuming slowed right down, and then just stopped. I spoke to Chris (?) from the packaging centre and he was very helpful, but he suggested cleaning the filter, which I couldn't remove. Anyway, just tried your suggestion and it worked!!

Did you replace the filter at all?

No Kaiser, figured it would only stuff up again.

Andrew

I lashed out on a foodsaver over a year ago when i bought 30kg of Eye Fillet in bulk. I obviously now use it for hops and it's going great. The beef still tastes fantastic after a year in the freezer. The bags come on a roll which is really handy for small packages. I also always do two seals close to each other just to be sure.
I think Aldi is selling a cheap version for a fifth of the price, not sure how good it is. I you get that one, make sure to stock up on bags as they only come up once a year.

hey dickman,
they are good but they dont do that well on the foil bags unfortunately.

hey dickman,
they are good but they dont do that well on the foil bags unfortunately.

Any idea which ones are good on the foil bags? I wanna look into it incase my mum decides she may want one too and give her mine.

Do you think this one will be suitable for dried malt extract? Planning on buying that in bulk also and prepacking a few for the size I need.

Shame about the foil bags but at $89 still a good buy.

I lashed out on a foodsaver over a year ago when i bought 30kg of Eye Fillet in bulk. I obviously now use it for hops and it's going great. The beef still tastes fantastic after a year in the freezer. The bags come on a roll which is really handy for small packages. I also always do two seals close to each other just to be sure.
I think Aldi is selling a cheap version for a fifth of the price, not sure how good it is. I you get that one, make sure to stock up on bags as they only come up once a year.

I've got an Aldi one and it has been working OK, haven't had any problems yet.

Back