UXCell Element Mounting HOT!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko72

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've almost finished building my 70LT Brew kettle... however...

I've mounted 2 of the ushaped uxcell elements using the aluminium housing that others have mentioned.
The mounting is solid with no leaks very happy.

But the aluminium housing gets very hot as it is in contact with the kettle wall.
Who would have thought that aluminium would conduct heat.... :huh:

What is the best way for me to insulate the housing from the kettle?
I was thinking silicone o-ring or something.
Also where would I put the insulation?

Thanks in advance.

D!CKO

I'm using 1 in my 1V and 3 in my 3V's kettle, (number just worked out that way). They do get hot but I have never had an issue with either the element or the cable that runs to it. I think any element such as these or the HWS style will get hot. While the vessels are insulated I've kept it clear of the die-cast enclosures.

My main concern was the earth wire which is connected to the hot aluminium. I couldn't get the plastic cable glands to fit so I used metal ones. Of course they get hot too! The live and neutral seem cool in comparison!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

D!CKO said:
What is the best way for me to insulate the housing from the kettle?
I was thinking silicone o-ring or something.
Also where would I put the insulation?
I found a silicon baking mould that was reasonably thick from a cheep-as-chips store, cut a piece and hole matching the heat element body placed in between housing and the kettle.

These silicon moulds seem to be ok but can be easy to tear so if you can find more industrial silicon sheets designed to be used as gaskets, it would be better.

You probably can't stop the housing heating up since the element's body is in contact with the housing (mine gets up to ~50C ... ~60C) but not quite as hot as the kettle.

Latest posts

Back