Using Triticale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staggalee

Reaction score
anyone used it as an addition in a partial/full mash? {it`s a wheat/rye hybrid}
Thanks
staggalee.

Based on its agronomic properties it should give similar results to using a soft wheat. It is much closer to rye that wheat in all characteristics.

Are you looking at malted or unmalted staggalee?

I've used it a couple of times. Worked fine. I used flaked triticale I'd have to say I didn't use enough to notice much difference to wheat or low levels of rye. Worth a shot though I'd say if you can get it. Personally, I'm happier using rye because I can get the malted stuff (and it's a lot cheaper than the triticale from the health food shop ;) ).

Thanks for both replies.
I was looking at the flaked version at health shop, but also have a bunch of flaked rye here, have used that before in partial as an addition, not a bad result.
Might try the flaked rye again.

cheers

staggalee.

Personally, I'm happier using rye because I can get the malted stuff (and it's a lot cheaper than the triticale from the health food shop ;) ).

Where do you get that sort of stuff from Stu???? I used to go to the big one on Glebe Pt. Rd but went there a few weeks ago to find it shut down. After a little bit of looking I haven't been able to find anything that comes close to the range that place had (grains, honey, etc.) in the Inner West.

If you want cheap Triticale and have acess to a stock feed store give them a try, most trit ends up in cows and sheep and it should be cheap.

Where do you get that sort of stuff from Stu???? I used to go to the big one on Glebe Pt. Rd but went there a few weeks ago to find it shut down. After a little bit of looking I haven't been able to find anything that comes close to the range that place had (grains, honey, etc.) in the Inner West.

The health food shop on Old Canterbury Road in Summer Hill. Pricey place though which is probably why I've never used much of it.

I didn't know that place was closed down. :( I guess there's also Alfalfa House (?) in Enmore though I haven't been there in ages either.

The health food shop on Old Canterbury Road in Summer Hill.

Yep, know the one, didn't have any honey's like the one in Glebe as well, they had about 5 different varieties in the bulk barrels.

Latest posts

Back