Using The Left Overs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedgehog

Reaction score
G'day all

I brew 23 ltrs of beer at a time, but can only hold 19 ltr's in my kegs.

So my question is : does anybody save the left-over 2-3 litres of brew to a small container, keep chilled and add to the keg after an equivalent

amount has been consumed out of the keg. ie fill keg to 19 litres, drink 3 litres, then add the leftover 3 litres , re gas keg and drink on.

I am guessing that there might be some sanitation and contamination issues maybe but done properly is this is a viable idea?

wad da ya all think?

Hey mate... I would say that it is probably a better idea just to bottle the remaining beer and naturally carb it!

This is a no-brainer. I've got the same situation as you, brew 23L, ~18L goes into the keg, the rest, like everyone else is saying, goes into Grolsh bottles and and naturally carbonates.

I make 40L batches. That's 2x20L fermenters. After the sediment is left behind, that's 19L into each keg.

I know some people have a 'leftovers' keg that the last 3L of each batch goes into. When the keg is full (after 6 brews) it goes on tap and you have a completely new beer to try. Might taste good, maybe not, but guaranteed that you'll never be able to replicate it!

A crazy solution would be a smaller batch size :D

Adding it back to the keg is going to go in my file under the same section that filling bottles by opening the keg lid and dipping them in, goes.

So my question is : does anybody save the left-over 2-3 litres of brew to a small container, keep chilled and add to the keg after an equivalent amount has been consumed out of the keg.

No.

wad da ya all think?

But you know what? I reckon it would be worth a shot. Seriously, where's the risk? We're all sanitary guys. Your keg has a CO2 blanket already, plus it's cold so the chance of picking up an infection is negligible. The only real danger I see is oxidation. But you probably introduce a lot more oxygen at earlier stages of your process anyway.

Give it a shot Hedgehog. I'd be curious to see how it goes.

P.S. I bottle the dregs like everyone else.

Im with nick, why bother, just bottle leftovers.

Shane, how about you do it and let us know how it goes??

I think this would be fine. If your kegs don't last long then i don't think you'll get an infection (if thats what you're worried about). With my excess i sometimes fill up a 3L bottle and put it in the freezer. When i go somewhere i'll defrost and carb with my carbonator cap. The good thing is the freezing makes all the crap drop to the bottom.

G'day all

I brew 23 ltrs of beer at a time, but can only hold 19 ltr's in my kegs.

So my question is : does anybody save the left-over 2-3 litres of brew to a small container, keep chilled and add to the keg after an equivalent

amount has been consumed out of the keg. ie fill keg to 19 litres, drink 3 litres, then add the leftover 3 litres , re gas keg and drink on.

I am guessing that there might be some sanitation and contamination issues maybe but done properly is this is a viable idea?

wad da ya all think?

I just bottle the leftovers if any. The bonus is, you'll see how the beer ages

with the majority here ,bottle the rest,handy to take with you when go out or in my case attend a club meeting

Shane, how about you do it and let us know how it goes??

Because like many of us, my priorities differ from our friend the Hedgehog. I like having a few bottles for club meets (not that I've had many bottles to take along lately :unsure:), comps, etc.

From his OP I would assume he wants to dispense as much as possible from the keg, and hence avoid having to clean, sanitise, prime, cap and store 5-6 bottles from each batch.

I was encouraging him to follow up his ideas and provide his experiences (which I will find interesting) back to the forum community.

:icon_offtopic:
I tried 60L brews. I filled a 50L keg the rest went into a 12L keg with priming sugar. the gas post on the smaller keg was then connected to the liquid post on the 50L. this got rid of the sediment in the big keg and gave you a different beer in the small keg. it worked alright but tied up to much gear.
will probably do it again soon. want to try a lager with the big keg in the fridge set low and the smaller keg at ferment temp.

Mine goes into a 10ltr cube then into the freezer,when I have 2 cubes full of all different brews I thaw them out and keg cant repeat brew but have had some interesting results,"MYSTERY ALE" :icon_drool2:

Mine goes into a 10ltr cube then into the freezer,when I have 2 cubes full of all different brews I thaw them out and keg cant repeat brew but have had some interesting results,"MYSTERY ALE" :icon_drool2:

do you keep tipping in the dregs into the 10L each time you brew?

does it thaw the the already frozen dregs in the cube ?

do you keep tipping in the dregs into the 10L each time you brew?

does it thaw the the already frozen dregs in the cube ?
1 yes
2 no as I crash chill the temp is at 1* so it nearly freezes straight away
Russ

Back