Using The Hot Tap For Mash Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a solar hot water system installed on my shed specifically for home brewing. I left the tempering valves etc off and I get 66 degree water straight out of the tap. I love it and haven't noticed any taste changes

I regards to anodes, in WA (and QLD) there are a lot of thermosyphon solar systems (TS systems) where you have the tank and collectors on the roof and a number of these are actually stainless tanks, not glass. solarhart, edwards & conergy all do stainless units. I dont think these units have annodes from memory or they dont have aluminium annodes.. can't remember exactly.

They all still end up with the crap in them, but the system is filled and drawn from the top or middle of the tank so the crap drops out of suspension and just accumulates at the bottom. Its like the yeast in a keg, there is crap at the bottom, but you can still put crystal clear beer from just above it.

Very interesting thread, I've never really thought about it to be honest, I've always used the hot water to save time but looking back I have noticed that my hot water takes a little time to "settle" in a glass.

I think I'll be grabbing a timed power supply when I get the chance....

Aluminum is good for you... it's bs, I don't have Alzheimer's from my pots

what were we talking about :(

All those old two-packs-a-day of Quickeze chewers (Before they invented Zantac) are still bright as a button.

elderly_breakdancer.jpg

I think the only circumstance where it wouldn't be suitable would be if you were using a standard hot water service for your house as I refuse to drink water from the hot tap where I live. When my brother got his hot water tank replaced when draining the remaining water was left with a rusty sludge and have always been lead to believe that rust is probably not the best thing to be ingesting... and have heard that it is just a common thing to happen over time.

I think the only circumstance where it wouldn't be suitable would be if you were using a standard hot water service for your house

what else would you use??? :huh: Im sure thats what 99% of HWS users use!

In summary, I'm inclined to stick with cold water, but I might do a side by side comparison of two beers of the exact same recipe and see if I can tell the difference. That being said, apparently I'm still "poisoning myself" even if I can't taste it.

as usual we have many varying opinions on a subject,

i have tried it a few years back using hot water from the HWS but it was only kit beers then it was 2 liters and boiled in a jug,.
i thought i could detect a different taste but in hind sight it was probably my kit beer, however i did run a glass of hot water from the HWS and a glass from the cold water tap, put both in the fridge and tried them a couple of days later.

now there was a real difference in taste with the HWS glass definately tainted, mind you this was an electric storage system probably ten years old.

for you guys that are using it this way from your HWS ,try that test for yourself, in saying that HWS may be bad for your beer but i guess we eat and drink stuff thats far more concentrated in crap, vegies from the supermarket i would think have had so much pesticide and fertilisers poured into them surely they are still laced with it.

fergi

have always been lead to believe that rust is probably not the best thing to be ingesting

Ah a bit of iron (iron3 oxide) in your diet is meant to be good innit? Would save you from having to eat so many vegies...

As a Plumber we were taught that HWS water was non-potable (not fit for human consumption)
As pointed out previously there can be be a high mineral content from corrosion
& after changing many of them it is not unusual to get a 10L bucket of crap & sludge out of them when draining
If the temp control is poor then there is also a bacterial risk as well
You may well argue that its going to be boiled anyway
But to me it would be similar to using brackish water from a puddle ...... it`ll work, but its not really ideal
There you go, that should be the end of the debate right there.
I would never ever use hot water from any type of hot water storage system. When I had the 3v system I used the hot water tap then as it was a instant/continuous gas hot water system.

we have solar hws and rainwater and do not use it for brewing.....have u ever cooled and tasted it????

tastes like the anode would...a few cents worth of gas is a good tradeoff....ian

I remember reading somewhere in Palmer's book about how evil even a small amount of Aluminium is to the brewing process and therefore to make sure you use a stainless boil pot and NOT an aluminium one.

Anyone know more about the Aluminium limits in the brew water before te brew turns to lawn food.

Also, years ago a very good doctor told us NOT to use pre packaged soy milk for our infants due to the Aluminium content. But none of your infants consume your beer I assume.

I remember reading somewhere in Palmer's book about how evil even a small amount of Aluminium is to the brewing process and therefore to make sure you use a stainless boil pot and NOT an aluminium one.

Nope. From How to Brew, Appendix B (web version), the highlighting is mine:

Cleaning Stainless Steel and Aluminum
For general cleaning, mild detergents or percarbonate-based cleaners are best for steel and aluminum. Bleach should be avoided because the high pH of a bleach solution can cause corrosion of aluminum and to a lessor degree of stainless steel. Do not clean aluminum shiny bright or use bleach to clean an aluminum brewpot because this removes the protective oxides and can result in a metallic taste. This taste-detectable level of aluminum is not hazardous. There is more aluminum in a common antacid tablet than would be present in a batch of beer made in an aluminum pot.

Now I'm not disagreeing with you on whether or not aluminium is harmless, I'm saying that Palmer who is a metalurgist has no problem with aluminium pots for brewing beer.

It comes down to your system.

My HWS is a virtually new solar stainless steel tank (no glass, no anode, paid extra) with instant gas boost. I have not been able to detect a difference in chilled glasses, AND most importantly, the water pours clear, not cloudy, like so many other HWS systems.

Plus, it draws from the top.

Which page?

Latest posts

Back