Using 'steep' Grains In The Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember some of the grumpy's kits having specialty grains mixed in that you would just boil all together (one of the old grumpy's members might be able to correct me here)

Obviously steeping is the better option than boiling together, hell it's simple enough. but i do wonder if you'd get enough astringency out of a couple hundred grams of specialty grain to warrant being worried about it?

schwartz.jpg

SCHWARTZ!

Re specialty grains:

A thread 'over' on the BIAB site advocates another way to use spec grains. ie. do not introduce them (nor steep at all), until one commences a mash-out. One proponent (Hashie) states that his previous 'good' beers seem "one-dimensional" when compared to the flavours & aromas he now gets . As I regularly include a mash-out, I look forward to a similar experience.

Manticle,

I did this once, an overnight steep of 800G crushed choc malt at about 16 degrees. I filled the bowl with crushed grain and tapwater and covered with glad wrap and left overnight.

I ended up with vomity/butyric acid beer I assume was from mash spoiler originating from overnight steep and this flavour carried through even though I boiled it with the normal mash. The grain flavour did come through though and was smooth.

Should I be refrigerating this overnight cold steep to avoid infection?

Cheers.

I always put mine in the fridge.

Yeah sorry I meant mash not boil, I added the 'steep' grain with the 'mash required' grain into 'mash' before removing it all & boiling and it turned out fine.

Thanks to eveyone who has replied, got all the answers I wanted and more. This forum rocks my hops.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back