Using standard kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits

Reaction score
Could someone advise me where to find info on using standard kegs or advice on weather this is the best option or should I source some post mix kegs. It's just I have quite a few 50 litre and 19 litre kegs already.

Thanks

Hi Rabbits,

I can't help you with kegging, as I have always bottled.

Just a note to alert you that discussions about illegally acquired kegs is against the forum rules.
In other words, if the kegs are found at the back of a pub or club in the dead of night etc, then they will still be the property of the brewery, and shouldn't be discussed on here.
However, if they are acquired legally, then there is no problem.

What sort of info? If you're looking for fittings, Keg King has the lot in their catalogue and will give you indicative prices for most couplers and fittings.

Otherwise, you might need to be more specific with what you want.

warra48 said:
Hi Rabbits,

I can't help you with kegging, as I have always bottled.

Just a note to alert you that discussions about illegally acquired kegs is against the forum rules.
In other words, if the kegs are found at the back of a pub or club in the dead of night etc, then they will still be the property of the brewery, and shouldn't be discussed on here.
However, if they are acquired legally, then there is no problem.
I appreciate the sentiment however it seems that's the first thing said about these in the recent past. If THAT is the aim, perhaps pull down the brew rigs thread while you are at it. Next we might start frowning on people passing on help on how best to cut the top off a keg as it 'might' be illegal.

The kegs are all legit.
I have the fitting but don't know how to remove the spears, clean and refill the kegs. Some are micro magic and the others look like
scanky but have no circling.

Ok some pics

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think,some where in the forums is a section on How to remove a keg spear ?.
This would allow you to clean and sanitize it but remember you must relieve the pressure first.
Chees..spog..

Do a search on you tube, there are plenty of videos showing what you need

Will try again on YouTube first attempt I couldn't find what I was looking for.

It will either be A (slide) or D (well). Others are exceptional in Australia.

Yep looks like A and D. Some of the D type don't have circlips.
So far my research is telling me to not remove the spear at all just clean out with spear in place.
It would be good for peace of mind to see inside the kegs though.

Pulling the spear out is perfectly fine as long as you've degassed it first

maxim0200 said:
Got a love stale beer all over you as you forget to do it on its side... Lol
Amen to that.....

Gash Slug has a recent you tube vid where he takes a spear out of a keg. Uses a grinder but think he advises removing a part with a screwdriver if you don't want to fark the keg. Worth a look anyhow.

I remember when trying to remove the spear from an A type keg the instruction was to vent the gas by plunging down on the rubber seal and then using some sort of grips to grab the head of the spear (visible outside) and twist it to undo it. Later when out the instructions said to grunt off some tab to make removal easy next time.

I could not get it out like that so I just cut the lid off and then looked at it and it could have come out undamaged so have a good look through those YouTube videos.

Tip the leg on its side and push the metal spear in the middle in you can use the open end of a large spanner for leverage although it's not that difficult. Once all the pressure is realised depending on the fitting just unscrew the top or you will need some circling pliers to release the circling underneath the then a slight twist and push like a gas bayonet!

Latest posts

Back