Using Spirits/liqueurs In Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
Hey all,

Have been doing a cupboard clean-out (regular food cupboard, not beer stuff cupboard) and found half a bottle of scotch whiskey and a full bottle of choclate liqueur (swmbo hates both drinks with a passion) so i was wondering how these drinks would go in a stout or a dark ale? Have been searching, i know i have seen this somewhere before (a couple of times) on here, I just cant find it.

Thinking it will have to go right in at the end of fermentation, just unsure of the quantities, and how well it would age with the beer.

Any Ideas?

Hey all,

Have been doing a cupboard clean-out (regular food cupboard, not beer stuff cupboard) and found half a bottle of scotch whiskey and a full bottle of choclate liqueur (swmbo hates both drinks with a passion) so i was wondering how these drinks would go in a stout or a dark ale? Have been searching, i know i have seen this somewhere before (a couple of times) on here, I just cant find it.

Thinking it will have to go right in at the end of fermentation, just unsure of the quantities, and how well it would age with the beer.

Any Ideas?

Have always thought that one shot followed by a pot was a good measure...LOL not sure alot the chocolate maybe have to be a pint of the black stuff.

IMO whiskey and beer dont mix. Although the one I tasted was rather strong. Ive tried a quarter bottle of port in a stout at the end of the ferment. Worked a treat.

I made a nice big toasty roasty porter a few years ago and added a few different things to the bottles as an experiment. my favourite was the capful of laphroaig... smoked paprika was also good... star anise nice too

i've had a vanilla bourbon porter, amazing - pretty much changed my life ;)

i guess you could dump the choclate liqueur in a stout, might need to consider the sugar in it as it is most likely sweetened.

as for the scotch, mix it with dry ginger ale :D

I've added clear creme de menthe essence to 1/2 a batch of a double choc stout at bottling and the results were well recieved. It smelt like peppermint choc-chip ice cream and didn't effect the flavour too much. It even reduced down to a great sauce for desserts.

Booz

In Europe you can buy bottled commercial beer that has a touch of spirit in it. As I recall scotch was in one and another had tequila in it! I don't think they tasted all that good but my memory does not serve me well...

Back when I was doing kits, I did a batch where I put a shot of vodka in eash bottle when priming.

Was nasty at first, so put them away and forgot about them. A year later they seemed to have ballenced out well.
Still tasted like a kit lager, but had an extra kick and some warmth.

I suppose you just need to be carefull not to kill the yeast with the extra Alcohol, If your bottling maybe research what AVB your yeast can handle.

you can, on brewday take a glass of the first runnings from your mash tun and add a nip of scotch.

Latest posts

Back