Using Oxygen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schooey
In regard to your starters, do some reading/googling or whatever as both Wyeast and Whitelabs both recommend 2L as the first step when making a starter if you want to get any significant amount of cell growth happening. Anything less with a fresh yeast pack will just wake them up but wont increase your cell to count to any significant degree. Source of this information Dave Lodgson and Chris White, I went to talks by both of them when they visited Perth a few years ago and both gave the same answer.

As for the O I have a cylinder at home as part of my oxy welding setup, you can actually put too much in when I first started out I used to inline oxygenate for the entire wort transfer whilst chilling through a CFC for about 30 mins for 40L batches and found my beer would oxidise quickly so now I just hit it with a burst for 30secs.

My experience is that if pitching a whole smack pack of liquid yeast to a starter then make a large one of 3 or more litres. Yeast will multiply if they need to, if not then they will begin the second stage of fermentation right away with very little cell multiplication. A 1L starter is fine for pitching a split of a smack pack. Not that there is anything wrong with making a smaller starter, the yeast will have cycled and be in good condition to pitch, you just wont have achieved much multiplication of the colony.

Screwy

Oxygen, and rehydration experiment. Interesting stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also heard about the changing standards to the pin type. I heard they will be brought in over the next year or so.

Seems you were right, fitnessfan... I got a letter yesterday telling me that all the large size cylinders in NSW will be changing over in Feb 2011. I figure I'll go exchange my bottle in January and the next bottle should last me a couple of years. That will give me some time to scrounge up a pin type reg...

Latest posts

Back