Using Out Of Date Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulielow

Reaction score
I got a tin of Thomas cooper amber malt extract and date of manufacture was 2008 and there's a little surface rust around the edges of the tin, is it still ok to use or is it safer to toss it and buy fresh?

I don't think there's anything that can kill you but you would make better beer with fresher ingredients.

I'm more concerned about ruining my beer than dieing... B)

I'm more concerned about ruining my beer than dieing... B)
I've brewed with some cans 2yrs out of date.
They weren't my best beers.

Basically, don't plan any special beers with them.

It's simple, if you want shit beer, use shit ingredients.

I don't think it will kill you as I have heard people doing it before, but do you really want to save $10 and drink completely crap beer.

QldKev

Use it for yeast starters - about a tablespoon would be enough for a 500mL
starter, put remainder into tupperware tubs and into freezer (they probably
won't actually but enough to keep bugs away).

If you're going to use it, use it in a Stout. Something that will at least try and hide any staleness and the darkening of the wort wont matter. Throw some fresh grain in to the mix and you might get away with it. My 2c

Use it for yeast starters - about a tablespoon would be enough for a 500mL
starter, put remainder into tupperware tubs and into freezer (they probably
won't actually but enough to keep bugs away).
What? And secondly I was thinking of using it for starters.... Any opinions,

Hi paulielow , I carried a can of coopers around for close to 12 years bought at Safeway in 1995 and when i did the kit and kilo thing ,the end result was a very mellow easy drinking malty lager ,I will say though it was a very deep golden/copper color and in no way fitted the style I was trying for ,sigh, and yes at the time I was attempting to produce vb or fosters or something
Ps has any body got an old can lying around in the garage or pantry let's say over 10 years, that they could brew and have tested by a beer judge?

I would say that hopped extract is a different beast to unhopped extract. With the hopped extract the hops will have faded deep into the background.

Eitherway, expect the extract to be much darker than it was when fresh.

A stout would be a good option

It's simple, if you want shit beer, use shit ingredients.

I don't think it will kill you as I have heard people doing it before, but do you really want to save $10 and drink completely crap beer.

QldKev

That's what I was trying to avoid

I decided to use this to make a starter and see how that goes first rather than ruining a full batch of beer, so when I opened the tin it let out a pssssh and is pretty dark so well see what happens....

What? And secondly I was thinking of using it for starters.... Any opinions,
Oops! Guess I left out "freeze" :p

Ok now it makes sense.

The starter I made with this is bubbling away looking pretty strong but its a bit dark for the beer I plan on making so I think ill cold crash it and pour off the wort. One night should be long enough to produce enough yeast shouldn't it?

If you're going to use it, use it in a Stout. Something that will at least try and hide any staleness and the darkening of the wort wont matter. Throw some fresh grain in to the mix and you might get away with it. My 2c
I like this idea. Throw it in with the infamous toucan stout/dark mix and you're laughing

Ok now it makes sense.

The starter I made with this is bubbling away looking pretty strong but its a bit dark for the beer I plan on making so I think ill cold crash it and pour off the wort. One night should be long enough to produce enough yeast shouldn't it?

What size starter? What yeast did you start with? What beer type/strength is it going into? other wise your question might as well be... how long is a piece of string?
Give some info & more experienced brewers will be able to give you the advice you seek.

cheers Ross

What size starter? What yeast did you start with? What beer type/strength is it going into? other wise your question might as well be... how long is a piece of string?
Give some info & more experienced brewers will be able to give you the advice you seek.

cheers Ross
Starter was 150ml extract, 800ml water, 2 hop pellets boiled for 15min then added 300ml of cold sanitised water then cooled in ice bath. Put into sanitised 2L port bottle, shook the crap out of it, pitched yeast(t-58) and swirled and covered with sanitised all foil. Have been swirl every hour or two. It's going into a 4.2% kolsch style(I know not traditional style) about 25L which I will be fermenting in an ice bath since its so damn hot.

cheers Ross
Starter was 150ml extract, 800ml water, 2 hop pellets boiled for 15min then added 300ml of cold sanitised water then cooled in ice bath. Put into sanitised 2L port bottle, shook the crap out of it, pitched yeast(t-58) and swirled and covered with sanitised all foil. Have been swirl every hour or two. It's going into a 4.2% kolsch style(I know not traditional style) about 25L which I will be fermenting in an ice bath since its so damn hot.

Latest posts

Back