Using Kegs For Their Orginal Design?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daawl

Reaction score
G'day.

Has anyone actualy used kegs for their original design?

I have a party for my youngest mid Jan, ie lots of rugrats running around. I was wondering if you can make softdrink eg cola in the kegs. It would be a lot cheaper and could impress people if I have beer and soft drink on tap. I am aware that I would have to replace seals afterwoods but I have just aquired another keg that still has syrup seals in it, so no biggie.

If anyone has done this any assistance would be appreciated.

Ps the two beer kegs are staying in the fridge and the softy would go in a garbage bin ice bucket. :p

Can be done without any trouble, sodastream sell packets of concentrate that you can order online IIRC if you want cola, lemonade etc, or you could make up some cordial and carbonate that.
Follow the guide to force carbonating for beer and you can't really go wrong. It may work better if you carbonate plain water first (ie soda water) and then just release the head pressure, open the hatch and flavour to your own taste.

EDIT: Its quite possible you won't need to replace the seals, but thats up to you.

Sure, it's no different to an oversized SodaStream setup. I'm sure you can still purchase the cordials at K-Mart, BigW etc.

Carbonate the water, add cordial to taste. Voila, dispensable soft-drink without purchasing 2L bottles.

[edit] See above post!

Kmart also sell the concentrates.

add vodka or bourbon and impress everyone.... except the kids.

add vodka or bourbon and impress everyone.... except the kids.

Will quite happily add the additives after the kids go to bed and the other kegs run dry. :blink:
Should keep the rum drinking SWMBO happy too :D

I made up a keg of lemonade for Christmas with 1.5 of the sodastream concentrate bottles. Worked a treat. I had 2 beer taps and a lemonade tap going.... plus the party keg in the esky if the taps were too far to go ;)

I'm considering making lemonade a permanent fixture... good for lemon lime and bitters.

edit: more info

Hopefully from this adventure I can convince SWMBO that I will need more kegs to set up a coke permanently. Well that would be the excuse. :lol:

One can hope after just buying new regs, new Co2 bottle and two new taps.

I have used ginger beer concentrate from the supermarket, kids loved it, especially being able to "pour their own" (no different from their dads really !!)
Would not bother with replacing the seals.

K

I make soft drink for my son in a dedicated keg all the time. I used to buy soda streams but now just use cordial. Much cheaper and just as good if not better.
I chill the water in advance and then add the syrup and force carbonate.

i make creaming soda (red lemonade) for my gf as she is not in the beer loving brigade. Just add 4 litres of cottees rasberry cordial (use homebrand or similar if you want to save $$) . fill 18ltr keg with water and carbonate...works a treat. and the cordial is dirt cheap!!!

Pok

Ive made up a keg of scotch and coke before as I was sick of having flat coke out of a bottle that been opened the day before. It worked really well but didnt last long before the keg was empty.

Cheers for all the help. Lots of ideas to run with now.

I will have to set it up when I eventually get a day off.

"get your hands on"... ;)

Anyone know where one can purchase a bag of syrup? I'd love to have a keg full of ridgeydidge Coke on tap.

as an alternative, can i just carbonate fresh water in a corny, for the kids to add whatever cordial in the glass?

A while ago i was in Country North Carolina, walked into an old school diner and had a freshly made vanilla coke with a diner breakfast. Maybe it was the mixture of the divine southern accent, the goddess behind the counter and the vanilla coke that made it one of the best things i have ever had ..... i dunno

Also fresh made root beer is not a patch on the shop made stuff...

Are you saying that going to the effort of making root beer fresh isn't worth it? Shop made stuff is better?

Oooops - other way round. The home made stuff ROCKS!

I take it that root beer is ginger beer, not beer you give to the fairer sex in order to get a ro*t? <_<
Exit smartar*e mode.
Not a bad idea, I've a few empty kegs so I might as well have some GB or something on tap.

Back