Carbonation in a keg is somewhat lacking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollster101

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a 3 font Keg King Series 4 and have had no issues to date. I recently put a US IPA into a keg and it has been well over a couple of weeks since it went in but for some reason the carbonation just isn't getting there. The 6KG bottle is still showing decent content and the other beers in the two other kegs have been pouring well and nicely carbonated.

I don't think I have had issues with the keg before but I presume there must be a problem somewhere. It would only be the 2nd time I would have used it and I replaced all of the seals when I got it (second hand from KegLand).

Is there anything that anyone can recommend I try to see if I can work out the issue. I am a bit unsure about whether opening the keg to try and reseat the lid (assuming that's the problem) would cause more issues with oxidisation (even with purging afterwards) or whether that would be ok. I have another keg that I could sanitise in order to move the beer but would still like to try and troubleshoot whether the current keg is faulty or a component of it is.

Hello again Jollster, maybe take the keg out of the fridge and with the gas connected do a force carb. (If the line is long enough) Generally takes about 10 mins of shaking to get a good amount of carbonation. Or do as I used to do, turn reg to 300kpa and shake for exactly 1 minute. This should also give a good level of carbonation.

Hello again Jollster, maybe take the keg out of the fridge and with the gas connected do a force carb. (If the line is long enough) Generally takes about 10 mins of shaking to get a good amount of carbonation. Or do as I used to do, turn reg to 300kpa and shake for exactly 1 minute. This should also give a good level of carbonation.
Thanks Razz.

I will give the force carb a go as I have a second bottle that I can use to do this. My thinking is that there could be a problem with the keg with a very minor leak which of course I would want to avoid.....or maybe the lid of the keg isn't sat properly. I will force carb at a higher PSI for a minute and see what happens. I presume doing that would also highlight any leaks that may be coming from the seals.

Back