Using Inverted Sugars As Adjuncts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
What's the advantage of using inverted sugar rather than just normal sugar for your brew? Some belgian beers use these inveretd sugars but why not just use dextrose or normal sugar instead?

I read that using inverted sugars, it would be like using dextrose where you won't get the cidery taste from normal sugars. Is that really true?

My understanding (fresh from one of the latest Basic Brewing Radio episodes :)) is that invert sugars have gone through a process where the sucrose is split into glucose and fructose sugars through an acid process (which is neutralised after the desired split has been reached).

Apparently invert sugars (like golden syrup) are used in cooking because the resulting sugar does not crystalise readily, probably contributing to a smoother texture in backing products.

So given that all of the products of the inversion process are fully fermentable there would be little effect, except that there may be other artefacts of the invert process that contribute other characteristics (like golden syrup intrducing some caramel characteristics.

Andy

They are different? I had thought this was how they did it?

No. In light beers like Tripel they (usually) use clear, invert sugar syrup. Its highly refined neutral tasting beet sugar syrup (not cane sugar). The dark beers generally use some form of unrefined dark beet syrup or soft sugar with loads of flavour - think molasses. Its very strong in taste.

The candy rocks that are often sold as "Belgian Candi Sugar" are actually intended for making lollies!

edit - Good overview here:

http://www.brewlikeamonk.com/2006/04/24/be...ble-in-america/

Back