Using Horizon Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbrewer

Reaction score
Giday.

I am going to try the hop variety Horizon in a Pilsner this weekend. 100% pilsner malt.

The notes say it goes well with the noble hops.

Has anyone had experience with this hop?

Matt

No but just mashed a maibock with Horizon

if you use horizon for bittering use Halertauer for flavour & aroma

pumpy

Thanks

I might use the Horizon for bittering only. Unless anyone out there has used it for flavour.

I only have Czech saaz and no access to Hallertau until my next mailorder. Should turn out alright.

Matt

I have used it for flavour and aroma in an American Amber.

Stick to using it for bittering. :rolleyes:

I used in a single hopped summer ale & the result was very similar to Challenger from memory - was a very nice beer.

cheers Ross

I used in a single hopped summer ale & the result was very similar to Challenger from memory - was a very nice beer.

cheers Ross

Wow, I didn't expect that comparison given the commercial descriptions of Horizon.

That's good to hear, Ross. I might have to give them another go (plus I've still got most of a big bag to use). Will be making some English beers in spring so might try Horizon again then. I do like Challenger. :)

I have used it for flavour and aroma in an American Amber.

Stick to using it for bittering. :rolleyes:

Is this a high alpha variety, never heard of them...

edit: never mind, just googled them.

Digging up an old thread here as I want to see if many other people have experience with this hop for flavour and aroma.

I am thinking of using it in an American amber - there is one bad experience above but I wouldn't mind getting some more opinions.

I've also got some Columbus I want to use so I was thinking of combining the two - less heavy on the Columbus though.

Back