Using DME in an extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipB

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I have always used liquid malt.

To use DME, can I simply place it in the fermenter with warm water and stir?

Cheers,

Phil

Yes you can do it that way with some boiling water and stir.

Alternatively you can boil 500 grams in 5 ltrs and add your hop additions.

Beware of "clumping" when you stir, eg Coopers dry malt. Best way is to put the malt into an empty fermenter, pour in a kettle full of hot water and swirl the fermenter until dissolved.

Phil,

So many ways of adding the dry extract.

Add in the boil, add into a dry fermenter, add into a fermenter with some water in it etc. Some even say they will only add cold water to mix it up, as hot or boiling water clumps the powder. In the end the dry malt extract will dissolve anyway.

I tend to add half at the beginning of the boil and then the other half when I am about to top-up the fermenter with cold water.

If you add at start of boil (only recommend this with straight liquid or dry extract) you will get a more concentrated flavour from it. I did a 90 mins boil yesterday with 4kg of extra light dry malt extract all in at the beginning, as part of the Murica recipe from Behemoth Brewing in NZ (attached), and the wort finished as a nice and thick liquid which should make for a great pale ale. Should make for a wonderful drop of beer. This is also the typical style of recipe I regularly do - dry malt plus specialty grains etc.

Cheers,

Pete

View attachment Murica - APA - Recipe.pdf

Latest posts

Back