Using a cling wrap lid outside of your brew fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manson81

Reaction score
I've started doing a quick keg filler tonight and was going to chuck it in the laundry tub with a towel wrapped around it any icy water to keep it cooling, as my fermentation fridge is full making good beer.

One problem, my lid seals don't seem to fit properly in the lids anymore as I've only been using them to hold glad wrap in place for a while and they're all stretched out!

Reckon it will be safe enough using a cling wrap lid in the laundry tub? I'll load the water up with napisan and starsan I guess to try and help...

same as in the fridge, really, as long as you don't immerse the whole fermenter in water...

Got it in a few inches of water, didn't end up wrapping the towel around it though. Thought that might be pushing it!

I did it heaps of times before getting a brew fridge and it was never a problem. Your biggest enemy will be light striking your brew.

I used a towel around the fermenter to wick up (and evaporate) the water.
Also (as amcqueen says) putting a towel around it keeps the light out... most of it anyway.

Only a problem for yeasts that take their time. The re-introduction of oxygen in lag phase or whatever it was encouraged a slight amount of infection for me once. Was quite pleasant though. A lid might've been a better barrier however. None a problem for the usual yeasts - us05 etc.

i found an old dark coloured t-shirt over the fermenter does the trick,keeps the light out

Latest posts

Back