Uses For Left Over Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarth

Reaction score
I am starting to gather quite a few left over yeast packets Does anyone have ideas on uses if any these have?
I think I read here that they can be used for nutriants somehow is this true.. or do I just toss em?

I am starting to gather quite a few left over yeast packets Does anyone have ideas on uses if any these have?
I think I read here that they can be used for nutriants somehow is this true.. or do I just toss em?

Coopers packet yeasts are great in a pizza base.

I assume these are leftover kit yeasts, which kits did you take them from?

Yeast hulls (dead yeast) make a good 'yeast nutrient'.
So if you ever make starters, slants, agar plates (or the like) add the old pack of yeast when you boil up the wort, so the unused yeast then turn into nutrients for the yeast you wish to grow.

I assume these are leftover kit yeasts, which kits did you take them from?

Yes from kits they vary in brands some muntons, morgans , coopers etc some pkts are marked premium brewing yeast 7G

Some of the coopers kits use commercial yeasts. The same varieties could be worth combining. For example, the Euro lager comes with a full lager yeast. if you already have a pack consider combining it with the next euro lager kit you make.

Coopers yeast details
http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guil...osts&t=1803

Chuck a couple of packs in the boil for the last 10 mins for nutrient

Back