Usb Temp. Data Logger Us$42

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XavierZ

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was getting curious about the temperature of a little hiding
space I have under the stairs and whether is was constant enough
to store my brews for bottle conditioning and/or fermenting.

First thoughts were to bring home the massive 12 channel data
logger from work, but I've changed my mind from that since I
found a rather inexpensive USB Data Logger for about half the
cost of everywhere else.

Looking at the limited specifications, it seems rather "cheap"
and possibly only log in whole degrees. However the snapshots
of the software shows data as refined as 0.01 degrees. All things
considered, with the Aussie and US dollar almost 1 for 1 at the
moment, it wouldn't be a bad asset at all.

Would like to hear anyone's thoughts...

USB Temperature Data Logger

Cheers,

Xavier

Hey all,

I was getting curious about the temperature of a little hiding
space I have under the stairs and whether is was constant enough
to store my brews for bottle conditioning and/or fermenting.

First thoughts were to bring home the massive 12 channel data
logger from work, but I've changed my mind from that since I
found a rather inexpensive USB Data Logger for about half the
cost of everywhere else.

Looking at the limited specifications, it seems rather "cheap"
and possibly only log in whole degrees. However the snapshots
of the software shows data as refined as 0.01 degrees. All things
considered, with the Aussie and US dollar almost 1 for 1 at the
moment, it wouldn't be a bad asset at all.

Would like to hear anyone's thoughts...

USB Temperature Data Logger

Cheers,

Xavier

OT about data loggers, but I got a great little max/min temp unit from dealextreme.com for about $8.
It will display the min and max temps it has gotten to since the last time you push the reset button.

I've got mine stuck on the outside of my ferment fridge, with probe inside, to see the inside air temp max mins. It also has a temperature reader on the unit.
So it displays something like:
Where the unit is temp
where the probe is temp
max temp where unit is
min temp where unit is
max temp where probe is
min temp where probe is

nifty little gadget.

JD

I use one of these Temp Alert, has to be connected to a running computer though, but can send alerts.

You can get temp logging software off the net for free, then just need to build a probe and a connection to your computer Serial or USB. I have my automated brewing system running off the same probes , so I can switch between software. The software is very good and accurate (0.1 ) and will log many probes and for as long as you like.You can also set sampling times to what suits.
GB

Cheers for that report Steinberg.

Unfortunately his post holds no weight.
The reading seemed wrong so he went out and bought a different model to compare?
I'd be checking for a calibration section first!
I wonder if he'd buy another complete homebrew kit if his first batch didn't taste any good?
If so, I'm setting up shop next door to him! LOL

With 10 tabs available in the software, I'd hope to find a Zero-Cal or Calibration Set point option?
Now to try and find the software to check.

Cheers for the idea Steinberg

***EDIT***

Just confirmed it. It looks that he didn't even try to find the setting and recal the device
as it has a calibration setting. I found some better built software in the process that others
have made and it has calibration settings for temperature and humidity too.
3rd party software

You can get temp logging software off the net for free, then just need to build a probe and a connection to your computer Serial or USB. I have my automated brewing system running off the same probes , so I can switch between software. The software is very good and accurate (0.1 ) and will log many probes and for as long as you like.You can also set sampling times to what suits.
GB

More info please GB. I am trying to get DS18B20 probes working and some help would be great.

I want to use Thomas Karpen' Brauanlagen software 4.3, which utilises Digitemp (Brian Lane) and in CMD prompt I can get Digitemp to detect the probe but not sure where to go from there. Brauanlagen doesn't detect it and gives me runtime errors.

I emailed zwickel (he uses the same software)but haven't heard back from him.

You can get temperature data loggers for as little as $33 and if you add a temperature probe with it, it is perfet for monitoring the home brew temperature.
Try www.globaldataloggers.com .

More info please GB. I am trying to get DS18B20 probes working and some help would be great.

I want to use Thomas Karpen' Brauanlagen software 4.3, which utilises Digitemp (Brian Lane) and in CMD prompt I can get Digitemp to detect the probe but not sure where to go from there. Brauanlagen doesn't detect it and gives me runtime errors.

I emailed zwickel (he uses the same software)but haven't heard back from him.

What do you mean DS18B20 probes ?

I have DS18B20 sensors, which I use a micro-processor to read, but they are not a 'probe' setup, just a chip with 3 legs.
I just have them soldered onto the end of a cable, and talk to them with a processor.
Its an expensive way about it, but I am developing a system which suits my urn, fridge and fermenting freezer, to run them all simultaneously.

I am working on this at the moment its just arough prototype at the moment, (see pic)...
It has 4 x DS18B20 temp probes and 1 control relay, but it will have 4 control relays shortly.
It works a treat.
I just select which mode I want to run, and away it goes.
It also datalogs to an SD memory card.

Shame its a bit expensive, but it works nice, and I have the gear here at work.

Sample pic is me doing a boil last weekend.

For datalogging you can use a thermochron button, I have some of these and they are awesome.

You can get temperature data loggers for as little as $33 and if you add a temperature probe with it, it is perfet for monitoring the home brew temperature.
Try www.globaldataloggers.com .

The LogTags were used by GlaxoSmithKline (Pharma) to ensure that vaccines that were posted out in eskies arrived within temperature tolerances.

They went through rigorous testing to ensure they worked correctly.

So if they are good enough for GSK, they should be good enough for homebrew :)

Latest posts

Back