Temperature Data Logging Experiment.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In true AHB style

goat_8fj3.jpg

You know it makes sense :)

WTF ????

If you find there is a differential between the middle of the wort and a probe taped to the outside how about giving the fermenter a swirl and see if this stabilizes the temperature. My layman's theory is that if that if your probe is taped to the outside and you're not sure of the temperature in the middle of the wort, give it a gentle swirl and this should mix the solution and equalise the temperature. I'm interested to know if this is correct.

If you find there is a differential between the middle of the wort and a probe taped to the outside how about giving the fermenter a swirl and see if this stabilizes the temperature. My layman's theory is that if that if your probe is taped to the outside and you're not sure of the temperature in the middle of the wort, give it a gentle swirl and this should mix the solution and equalise the temperature. I'm interested to know if this is correct.

will do as soon as my thermowell arrives

Still no thermowell,
but i can say that last night I put a fresh brew down, and the fermenter was at 25 degress when i pitched the yeast, and sat it in the fermenting fridge.

I had a sensor attached to the side of the fermenter just with tape, at the top of the fluid level.
The temperature at the sensor dropped to 22 over the first hour.

So at 1 hour I put a piece of 1" foam around the sensor, shielding it from the airspace, and imediately the temperature of that sensor went up to 24c.

So having insulation around the sensor does make a difference, however its probably only while the fermenter is warmer than the target temp.
After the wort cools down to the target temp I dont think the insulation will be relevant.

Will start posting some info once this thermowell gets here...

cheers..

While the beer is fermenting it can be several degrees higher than ambient though, so insulation will always be handy while it's fermenting.

While the beer is fermenting it can be several degrees higher than ambient though, so insulation will always be handy while it's fermenting.

Yes Fenton agree,
thats why I want to look at just how much higher it is at the start of fermentation, so i can use the fridge to pull it down far enough over the first few days.
In the first few days when most of the alcohol is produced, I would assume that this is the most important time to have the temperture not too high.

It might be that we find setting the controller at 18 degrees gives an actual wort temp of 20 degrees,
and knowing this will help us all brew more consistently :)

cheers...

Looks cool,

You could run a few of those devices on a usb hub and get quite a nice little data log happening.

dunno about the 0.0001 acuracy though ?

I wanted more channels, plus relay control, with the intention of building a basic controller / logger combined.
I have the gear to build / program it all, and for some reason I enjoy the stuffing around (dunno why sometimes) :)

cheers...

Back