USB microscope

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaeld16

Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering if anyone reckons that a USB microscope like the kind on eBay would be of any use counting yeast cells. They seem to go upto x1000 magnification but I guess they don't have any mechanical adjustment for moving a hemocytometer around is it impossible to move it manually? No experience in these things so advice appreciated it would be cool to get into cell counting with only a $30 outlay on a microscope but just imagine it being to good to be true. I remember a thread a while back where someone reversed a Webcam I believe and they managed to be able to see cells but I can't seem to find it again.

Hi Michaelangelo

Don't quote me on this at the moment 'cos I'll have to check my facts (and I don't have my "yeast" bookmarks on this PC), but to the best of my memory, the ideal magnification for counting yeast cells on a haemocytometer is 400X). There is also free windows software that can do the counting for you (perhaps there is also a mac version) but I'll also need to find the link for that too.

As for moving the slide to get the count for the appropriate slide cells, I'm sure you can move it manually with a steady hand -- one or two or more good strength beers should help you with that! I'll do a search for the links tonight if that's OK.

Cheers mate

PS. Ooops. And yes, a USB microscope is meant to work quite well.

Edit added: I should have realised immediately, but the best link for this is on Braukaiser.com and it has all the info and links you need.

Thanks for the reply antiphile was a good read the braukaiser site. I reckon I'll have a go at one of these USB microscopes if it's no good well it's only a $20-$30 loss.

Try stick to 400x. I've found that anything higher and you can't fit the counting grids into view at once so just amke sure it supports 400x.

That Braukaizer link is awesome. I also picked up a 10ml pipette, 1ml pipette and pi-pump at LabFriend.com.au and they are handy.

Having USB would be a bonus since you can freeze the frame and take your time counting the cells or get free software that does it for you. I regret not buying a microscope with USB.

You may want to pick up a hemocytometer too. I think I got mine off eBay delivered from Hong Kong.

Good luck!

Microscope $30
Glass slides x50 $6.50
Pippetes $3
Hemocytometer $5
Methylene blue $14

All off eBay will be waiting 4-6weeks for it to arrive

If it turns out to be too poor a quality for looking at yeast the kids can dismember some butterflies or something to look at $30 is no great loss

If some retailer is reading this, I would be interested in purchasing a kit of the above (post #10) that would do the job.
Although I guess one would want a USB microscope that was really up to the task ;)

You really need a proper optical scope if you are going to go down this path. Try and get a second hand binocular one with a light source and a 40x objective.

Some may have far steadier hands than me, but there's no way I could manually move the slide and still get an accurate count. You need to be moving it in the order of tens of micrometres (fractions of a millimetre). I don't even find it that easy using a mechanical stage (but I'm a bit ham fisted).

GalBrew said:
You really need a proper optical scope if you are going to go down this path. Try and get a second hand binocular one with a light source and a 40x objective.
And if anything comes up I'll get something better suited any ideas where to look for a second hand microscope? My google searches are not bringing much up.

verysupple said:
Some may have far steadier hands than me, but there's no way I could manually move the slide and still get an accurate count. You need to be moving it in the order of tens of micrometres (fractions of a millimetre). I don't even find it that easy using a mechanical stage (but I'm a bit ham fisted).
This is a concern of mine I have no experience with these things but reading the Chris white yeast book, the build your own lab section he does mention that it is near impossible to move a counting chamber without x, y axis. Near impossible to me means that I'll have to just try it and see.

Just out of interest, I looked at ebay and (other than plastic ones designed for kids), there was one I thought might be suitable for $89 (??). New, and monocular, but I think it came with a light source. I'll add in a link when I find it again.

Edited: Just went back and checked and I'd overlooked the need for a mechanical slide stage. It now looks as though it will be at least well over AUD$200 (plus gosh knows what postage from the US).

Latest posts

Back