us05, two packs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fermentis US-05 (dried) is a great yeast.

I gave up using liquid ale yeasts after trying this one hydrated and sprinkling atop wort.

2 packets for a 45 litre batch has never failed me.

Also, just my 2c, I have noticed no difference pitching dry (sprinkling atop the wort) vs rehydrating with this yeast.

Been using US-05 fairly regularly lately. Last batch was pitched dry and I found it took 24 hours or so for fermentation to kick off. I've found that to be the case most times I pitch fermentis yeasts. Last time I rehydrated the yeast into a black IPA, it kicked off pretty quickly. The next morning, there was a healthy krausen.

Never pitched more than one packet at a time and I'm pretty slack in aerating my wort. Half the time I'm amazed I get beer at all with my shoddy practices. Certainly goes to show that give yeast an inch and they'll take a mile, the greedy feckers.

Got oodles of white labs yeast so will be all about that for the foreseeable future and I'm planning on dusting off the old stir plate in preparation.

And I'm a pants on kinda guy. Must be my uptight British upbringing.

With this hot weather it is better to stay hydrated to begin with. This is much easier to achieve with pants off, and rehydration isn't a problem as long as you keep your fluids up. Some people achieve this with beer while others say it dehydrates you even more.

So, now that we have covered that, for those who sprinkle, do you just sprinkle, or sprinkle and stir?

Tropico said:
So, now that we have covered that, for those who sprinkle, do you just sprinkle, or sprinkle and stir?
neither actually. I just pour it in, and seal the fermenter.

is that bad ?

Goose said:
neither actually. I just pour it in, and seal the fermenter.

is that bad ?
I wouldn't know. I can only think that just sprinkling and sealing would allow the yeast to hydrate, have nutrients available from the wort, and use the gaseous oxygen in the head-space before using the oxygen dissolved in the wort.

Maybe it is better to utilise dissolved oxygen first rather than gaseous oxygen in the head-space. Maybe it doesn't matter, just another can of worms.

Edit: It's only bad if it produces a fault in your beer.

My normal yeast is US-05. I sometimes sprinkle and sometimes rehydrate it. I haven't really noticed a difference in the end beer. Usually I notice some activity in the first 12-18 hours regardless of how I pitch.

My most recent brew started at 1.050 and I just sprinkled it. 24 hours in I had no action to speak of and was worried I'd made a big mistake. 26 hours in I had a few bubbles forming and at 28hours a creamy krausen. 72 hours post pitch I took a sample and was down to 1.022 already. Despite the slow start I have no reason to doubt this will work out just fine.

Latest posts

Back