US05 for a Lager?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DMS is usually creamed corn, sometimes a bit cabbagey. S189 can chuck a bit of sulfur - if it smells a bit farty and a bit car exhaust, it'll need a little time for the sulfur to dissipate. Fermented at 16c it should eventually end up pretty clean.

I'd need to taste it again to try to describe the flavour. 'Shitty beer' taste is about all i can manage right now. I've been sampling 100ml each week and it is def getting better. First week it was nasty.

I've used Nottingham Ale yeast @ 13 c with no problems. Makes a clean Lager-like beer and ferments out in around 5 days at that temp. In fact, if I'm using a big yeast slurry, I have to keep it below 15c or it escapes the fermentor every time.

Taking me back now wereprawn.
I used Nottingham for several years going back 10-12 years. I always fermented at 14c. I have a few gold medals as proof.
Time I used the old friend again, you can't beat it in an Altbier.
CraftBrewer once did it in their repackaged yeasts, what happened there? I stopped buying it????

Batz

I dont mind the nottingham at 18c in an APA
Pressure fermented though
Its not bad low with a kolsch grain bill

Taking me back now wereprawn.
I used Nottingham for several years going back 10-12 years. I always fermented at 14c. I have a few gold medals as proof.
Time I used the old friend again, you can't beat it in an Altbier.
CraftBrewer once did it in their repackaged yeasts, what happened there? I stopped buying it????

Batz
It always gets a good workout during the warmer months here. Altbier is something I've never tried Notto with Batz. I'll definitely give it a go. Cheers for the tip.

DMS is usually creamed corn, sometimes a bit cabbagey. S189 can chuck a bit of sulfur - if it smells a bit farty and a bit car exhaust, it'll need a little time for the sulfur to dissipate. Fermented at 16c it should eventually end up pretty clean.

Just sampled it. Definately DMS. The beer in the line was worse. I pulled a second small sample and it was better so it looks like it should subside with some more time.

Clean those lines.
Then pour a beer and do a vdk test.

If dms worsens with time, it can be indicative of infection.

If it isn't infection based, it can be scrubbed with co2.

vdk test?

Shit error. VDK (vicinal diketone) is for diacetyl and 2-3 pentanidione, not DMS.

Rest stands

So Forget VDK test but do clean the lines and re-sample. If the DMS is heavy, look at scrubbing with CO2. If it's due to infection, drink quickly or toss because it will only get worse.

The downblouse brew chemist was both a welcome surprise and a not quite SFW surprise.

I always thought that the beer in the keg is likely to improve a lot faster than that in the line. To be hones I'm not sure of my reasoning for this though.

I might try the CO2 scrubbing.

Maybe a bit late for this input, but my local U-Brew it only use two yeasts for everything. A Cider yeast and S-04. S-04 for lagers, bitters apa's and everything except cider.

And to be fair I've tried their lager in an emergency and it's pretty good.

For future reference, S-189 is also a true lager strain that can ferment at high temps.
I generally run mine at 17-18*C, then lager for 2-3 weeks. The several I've done have all turned out great.

any sulphur or fruitiness at all at those temps?

edit: answered in the more recent posts. no worries!

For pseudo-lagers I echo those who have recommended notto. I've also had good results from WY2565 - Kolsch yeast at around 13C.

any sulphur or fruitiness at all at those temps?

edit: answered in the more recent posts. no worries!

None that I detect.
Could probably go a fraction cleaner for a super dry Lager finish, but for a regular dry finish it seems to do a good job.
Whether a super dry finish requires simply a lower temp or a different strain I'm not sure - my lager experience is limited to 7 batches so far.
Next winter I'll use S-189 again, run the first batch at 17-18*C to build up the yeast cake, then try running it at 14*C for subsequent batches. See if that makes a difference.

Fwiw, there's also mangrove jack's California Lager M54 strain - it's intended to ferment at 18*C.

Just out of interest, why would you use ale yeasts at 14-15*C for a faux lager, when you could use S-189 or M54 at 16-18*C for a real lager, which you can then lager properly for a few weeks and have the real deal?
Not trying to take the piss, a real question. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
I can only assume the 2+ weeks of lagering at 0-4*C is too much hassle for some.

I've only done 1 faux lager, with Notto at 14-15*C. Ok, but definitely a *faux* lager. As a result of that one, I decided to try S-189 the next winter. 2 years later, never looked back.

None that I detect.
Could probably go a fraction cleaner for a super dry Lager finish, but for a regular dry finish it seems to do a good job.
Whether a super dry finish requires simply a lower temp or a different strain I'm not sure - my lager experience is limited to 7 batches so far.
Next winter I'll use S-189 again, run the first batch at 17-18*C to build up the yeast cake, then try running it at 14*C for subsequent batches. See if that makes a difference.

Fwiw, there's also mangrove jack's California Lager M54 strain - it's intended to ferment at 18*C.

Just out of interest, why would you use ale yeasts at 14-15*C for a faux lager, when you could use S-189 or M54 at 16-18*C for a real lager, which you can then lager properly for a few weeks and have the real deal?
Not trying to take the piss, a real question. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
I can only assume the 2+ weeks of lagering at 0-4*C is too much hassle for some.

I've only done 1 faux lager, with Notto at 14-15*C. Ok, but definitely a *faux* lager. As a result of that one, I decided to try S-189 the next winter. 2 years later, never looked back.

for me, a super dry finish is due to mash temp being a bit lower like about 62-63ish (and the subsequent final gravity being lower about 1.002-5 or so). pair this with yeast strains that have high attenuation or are known for their 'crispness'.

speaking from my own experience, and before i started making real lagers, i was just too impatient to wait for the lagering period. i made lower fermented ales to get a beer similar to a lager.

Back