Us-56

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macr

Reaction score
I have rehydrated 15g of US-56 yeast for an APA. Temp is sitting on 20*C and was pitched at 21*C. I was wondering if it is a slow starting yeast? I am starting to get a bit of froth, no krausen ring as of yet, but not much action. I am not worried to the point of repitching, just interested in what reactions others had.

I've had mixed results with this yeast. Two brews ago it started very slowly and last brew it started much quicker. From memory there were no real differences in the proceedure both times. Another thing that I have found a little puzzling is that I always figured that US-56 would probably attenuate more than S-04, being reportedly the same as WLP001 and 1056. To date I have had better attenuation from S-04 than US-56. BUT, the two beers I have in the fermenter now are both US-56 and they have fermented down quite low, so who know's what's going on in this crazy world we live in. I'd say it comes down to other factors other than yeast (eg mash temp, oxygenation of the wort, fermentation and pitching temps etc etc).

I'd say it will get going eventually though, no cause for concern just yet...

I am a litle uncertain, did you rehydrate at 21oC (well below recomended rehydration temps) or pitch rehydratd yeast into 21oC wort (perfectly OK)?

Even if you rehydrated at 20oC you should be right. As shown below the loss in viability is probably very low, and 15g is a good amount of dry yeast for a standard size brew.

Ive used this yeast a few times where I have pitched it unrehydrated into wort at 21 - 24oC wort. Bubbling started fairly early, and fermentation was fine. It does take a bit of time for much action on the surface.

Fermentis (manufactures of this yeast) do have some research articles on their web site that show there is no significant loss of viability when rehydrated at 20oC. Yeast viability dropped very sharply below 15oC. For example rehydrating at 10oC would kill about 30% of the yeast, 5oC would kill over 50% yeast. They also found now significant difference in viability when pitched into 15oP wort at similar temps (usual thinking is that this results in increased loss of viability). Saflager yeast was used for these experiments.

http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/00-home/30-...sp?TypeActuId=6

All right here is the goss. I rehydrated at 30*C and it was quite happy and merry. Attemperation was performed to match the wort and pitched. It appears that it is a slow starter. It is slowly bubbling away today at 20*C. Smells goood :)

Latest posts

Back