US-05 insanely cloudy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
verysupple said:
It's also good to remember that for a lot of beer styles it's a GOOD thing to have a bit of lag time (within reason of course).
And I've had lag phases from 4 (recent 3711 pitch. Was 2 weeks old, smacked it and pitched after 6 hours. took off like lightening) vs 32 hours for a BRY 97 (I mishandled. Only bad beer I've made and I'm positive it was yeast stress)

It would just be nice to know if I "tick all the boxes" to expect x number of hours. If you don't get that - something needs to be worked on.

Anyway, no more OT..

BRy > 05 for clarity.... but I miss the hop hit.

slcmorro said:
Agreed with the above. I've used US05 a bunch of times, and it drops clear. I cc all my beers at 0.5c for 1 week though, prior to kegging/bottling. This might help if you have the option to do so.
Your bottled beers carbonate well after a week at that low temp? You carbonate as normal?

Just asking as i've always kegged, going to start doing a bit bigger batches now im into AG so I can bottle a bit more. Planned on only using coopers carb drops though.

Can't answer for slcmorro but I never had any trouble carbing in bottles after a week in the cold (obviously temp needs to be brought up after bottling/priming).

I keg mostly now but that's a very recent thing. Bottled for several years, cold condition pretty much every brew.

Fair enough, well i'll have 8L left of my last disaster to bottle once the first 18l is kegged, so i'll try that then.

I CC everything, always have, was always just scared there wouldnt be much/any yeast left to eat the sugars up in the bottles, but i've always CC'd for 2 weeks also, dont really need to, just habit, i'll start doing one week CC and bottle the leftovers.

Sorry for Hijacking

Shaun.

Even two weeks, no drama. With beers that push past 3-4, I notice they may need some extra time but are generally fine. I wouldn't change your CC regime unless you notice they are not carbing as soon as you'd like and you are getting impatient.

In cold, in bulk, in my experience and opinion, is good

Droopy Brew said:
I find it clears well. But ask yourself this- does cloudy beer really matter? I dont give a rats if my brews come out cloudy or clear to be honest- it makes no difference to taste.
Your question has been well answered so I don't feel too bad taking this a little off topic, but I can't leave a statement like this unchecked.

Rubbish - Maybe you can't taste the difference, but yeast in suspension does make a difference to taste & I personally hate it. Drink your beer full of yeast if you want to, I've no problem with that, but don't go telling new brewers that it makes no difference. I really dispair at times!!!

Ross

Ross said:
Your question has been well answered so I don't feel too bad taking this a little off topic, but I can't leave a statement like this unchecked.

Rubbish - Maybe you can't taste the difference, but yeast in suspension does make a difference to taste & I personally hate it. Drink your beer full of yeast if you want to, I've no problem with that, but don't go telling new brewers that it makes no difference. I really dispair at times!!!

Ross
Yup. Cloudy APA tastes too bitter (and not nice bitter like IPA are), and kristallweiss tastes like nothing. Yeast makes a shedload of difference.

Donske said:
US-05 is my go to yeast for 80% of my beers, I've honestly never had an issue with cloudy beer after 3 days in the keg, never had a cloudy bottle using US-05.

I'm at the point of getting my hands on a 500g brick I like this yeast that much, it's just so damn reliable, never been able to figure out why there are so many complaints about it.
I am not complaining about it. I use it for most of my beers.
All I am saying is, from my experience, compared to other yeasts it can not be regarded as floccing out hard and fast.

Ross said:

Ross
Zackery.

Back