Urgent Advice...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kaiserben said:
How long into the ferment did it hit 25C?

My theory is that if you can keep temp lower in the initial busy/fast period of the ferment (when the wort temp increases due to the fermentation process itself, as well as being affected by ambient temp) then anything, within reason, that happens afterwards isn't going to have too drastic an affect on your beer.

Anyone agree/disagree? I'd be interested to hear considered opinions on this.

I've also had a San Fran Lager yeast (WL810) vary wildly, held at 12C for the first 24 hours, then swinging from 12C-20C every 24 hours for the next week, then 20C for the following week, and the beer turned out great. (20C is 2C above the recommended optimum ferment temp for WL810)

Of course all yeast strains behave slightly differently, and I've not used Wyeast 1010.

But in reply to the OP, I wouldn't worry that cooling it might stress the yeast too much, nor would I worry about it being too hot if it's already a few days past that initial flurry of ferment activity.
I would say if he brewed it the day before it had been around 24 hours.

From my understanding (various random sources, books, experience) is that the most important time for ester profile determination is pitching temp (including growth phase (which doesn't stop as soon as it starts fermenting as people commonly think)). I would say the fact it was 25 degrees 24 hours in would mean it only just started to ferment, or the fridge died not too long before the issue was picked up. (I've experienced the temp not being set and the brew being 32 degrees 12 hours later (very big pitch)).

Temp changes of more than 1ish degree per hour can be stressful, but it won't be the case here being that its only 5 degrees and the wort is fermenting (generating heat).

I'm sure the brew will turn out okay.

Let us know how it goes for you, although it is a good excuse for SWMBO to let you brew again anyway right!

I will cross my fingers for you that you don't get too much acetaldehyde.

If so - sour apple or green apple taste - let it condition out for another 2 weeks before you bottle.

sorry all

Jess from the wyyeast labs said exactly what I said

no wait

basically Jess said "definitely bring it down to 20 and using 1010 would mean that the brewer most likely wanted a low ester profile, too much unknowns at 25"

I got a carried away with yeast operating temps but on the good side I have ordered a microscope to study yeast

the email is on my phone so I don't know how to copy and paste but I will put exactly what Jess said up here when I have 20mins

well done! and apologies

Hey All,

So just an update on the brew to date. Basically it tastes like arse.. Lots of sulfar but hopfully that subsides with time. 1010 is renowned for this, especially if its hits higher than expected temps. Fermentation went off without a hitch though, even after throwing it in the fridge. 1047 on brew day and now down to 1011. Will rack to secondary and give it another week or three there before I keg.

And Dunkel.. Like I need an excuss to brew hey mate. SWMBO gave up on me a long time ago there... Lol.

Latest posts

Back