Urgent Advice...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubix

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I brewed up a White IPA yesterday using Wyeast American Wheat 1010. I was hoping to ferment at around 20*c but on a 30*c day my fermentation fridge has sh!t itself and it's now at 25*c. Am I better off leaving it run its course or throwing it into the kegerator (temp controlled) and dropping back to the desired ferm temp? Just don't wanna stress the yeast too much.

Cheers

Cheers Niz., I was thinking the same thing but thought I'd garner the advice of others before I did anything too drastic. Lol.

+1 to throwing it back in the fridge. Otherwise you'll be drinking a fruit salad!

what's wrong with 25deg for an ale? it's only a couple off - you wouldn't want to drop it too quick eh?

<edit> I used to do all my ales at 23.5, now I am at 20 but haven't noticed a difference it is still in the range isn't it? pulling 5 off it is going to slow things down but will you be able to clean up the rubbish? I would bring it down a couple of degrees and leave it

fruity is nice in pale imho, sweet and sour aint tho

yeah. +1 for cooling it.
Droid: there is not set temperature for any beer, but 25c for most yeasts will produce more esters and fruit notes than are usually desirable.
around 20 or under 20 is a good rule of thumb for most ale yeasts.

g

the ale bit says 15-25

http://beerbrewguru.com/beer-brew-news/difference-between-ale-and-lager/

so my question is when something is fired at 25 which is not in the middle of the range but at one end, what becomes more important, trying to cover up what has already happened? and changing the environment

or

keeping it stable and strong, even if at the high end?

there is a debate in it, beer might be needed tho

With some (many?) ale yeasts, you risk the yuckier flavours at 25. I'd wager the end product would have an out of style warmth if left at 25. Leave the mid to high 20s to the Belgians...

letting it go at 25oC is going to throw some pretty nasty tasting esters.
I had no temperature control when I first started doing kits, and it was not uncommon for the temp to be up around this.
The beers I was making were horrible to say the least. 18oC for an ale is about ideal. Theres a couple of ale strains that can handle 16oC quite well and make a good fake lager due to their neutral flavour profile

yeah. you also have to remember the thermal mass of your vessel of beer AND the fact that fermentation creates heat. if the wort is at 25c and the ambient temperature is say 20, it will probably NEVER get to 20. it would eventually, albeit slowly but fermentation is an exothermic reaction- it MAKES heat. so if you start fermenting at 25c in a warmish environment and hope it will drop down to 20 overnight you are dreaming.

Most of the precursors for ester profile are determined in the initial reproduction phase. Hopefully you had a nice healthy pitch and it kicked off nice and fast. I'd say with the amount of heat ferments can throw off that you caught it within a few hours.

I would cool it back down, it won't stress the yeast too much from what I've read. Unless your fridge cools super quick (mine usually takes a day to crash a brew to 1-2 from 18)

Just because yeast can ferment in a certain temp range, it doesn't mean its desirable with that given strain. If the OP had his temp set at 20, what makes you think he will want results of 25? That's why he is here asking us the question of "will it stress the yeast".

I'm guessing by the choice of yeast, a low ester profile is desired.

yah. i have brewed with 1010 before. its got a nice profile if kept just under 20. clean. not sure what it would do at 25 but i reckon if you have the option of dropping the temperature it's worth doing. I'm sure that the fridge won't drop it quickly enough to cause significant stress- again. Thermal mass.

g

it makes me think nothing mate other than, my point is it is already there - it is 25 now and has been, take the 25 workers who are all consuming and doing a poo down to 20 and get them to do the same work and clean up for 25 and they will not be able to clean the job up that is my point

Cheers everyone. Brew is now in the kegerator chilling out. It was certianly a healthy pitch of yeast. Started strong and has dropped from 1047 to 1029 overnight (Probably too quick). I used a blow off and there are constant bubbles along with krausen in the flask. Had a taste of the sample and there are some esters there but hopefully i've caught it early enought that they don't overpower. Time will tell.

good luck mate, I will buy you all a beer when I get a response from wyyest, actually nah you can drink my max ester ale instead haha, stay tuned

Rubix said:
Hey All,

So I brewed up a White IPA yesterday using Wyeast American Wheat 1010. I was hoping to ferment at around 20*c but on a 30*c day my fermentation fridge has sh!t itself and it's now at 25*c. Am I better off leaving it run its course or throwing it into the kegerator (temp controlled) and dropping back to the desired ferm temp? Just don't wanna stress the yeast too much.

Cheers
How long into the ferment did it hit 25C?

My theory is that if you can keep temp lower in the initial busy/fast period of the ferment (when the wort temp increases due to the fermentation process itself, as well as being affected by ambient temp) then anything, within reason, that happens afterwards isn't going to have too drastic an affect on your beer.

Anyone agree/disagree? I'd be interested to hear considered opinions on this.

I've also had a San Fran Lager yeast (WL810) vary wildly, held at 12C for the first 24 hours, then swinging from 12C-20C every 24 hours for the next week, then 20C for the following week, and the beer turned out great. (20C is 2C above the recommended optimum ferment temp for WL810)

Of course all yeast strains behave slightly differently, and I've not used Wyeast 1010.

But in reply to the OP, I wouldn't worry that cooling it might stress the yeast too much, nor would I worry about it being too hot if it's already a few days past that initial flurry of ferment activity.

Latest posts

Back