Upright Fridge - Door Extension

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XavierZ

Reaction score
Hey all,

A while ago I scored a neat upright fridge without the freezer compartment at a work auction for $30.
(Life is so sweet when you're the only homebrewer at work sometimes :lol: _

I've used it extensively as a fermenting or bottle conditioning cabinet and it has done me proud.
However, I've recently upgraded to 19L kegs and wondering how am I going to fit 4 kegs in that little space...

So my though was this, I've seen some of us build and install a collar on a chest freezer to install taps and
considered if it were easy enough to build a collar for the fridge to increase the internal capacity and
more easily accommodate the 4 kegs and a shelf of bottles.

- Looking at an extension of no more than 200mm out and install the door on the collar.
- Would probably have to install some form of clasp to hold the door shut unless I install a metal frame for the magnets.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, links, experience in this sort of project, I would be greatly appreciative of your input.

X

Hey all,

A while ago I scored a neat upright fridge without the freezer compartment at a work auction for $30.
(Life is so sweet when you're the only homebrewer at work sometimes :lol: _

I've used it extensively as a fermenting or bottle conditioning cabinet and it has done me proud.
However, I've recently upgraded to 19L kegs and wondering how am I going to fit 4 kegs in that little space...

So my though was this, I've seen some of us build and install a collar on a chest freezer to install taps and
considered if it were easy enough to build a collar for the fridge to increase the internal capacity and
more easily accommodate the 4 kegs and a shelf of bottles.

- Looking at an extension of no more than 200mm out and install the door on the collar.
- Would probably have to install some form of clasp to hold the door shut unless I install a metal frame for the magnets.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, links, experience in this sort of project, I would be greatly appreciative of your input.

X
How big is your fridge? When you say you are wondering how you'll fit them do you mean you've measured it, or tried it?
The only reason I raise it is that my keg fridge is smaller than my fermenting fridge, and it has a freezer where the fermenting one doesn't, and it fits 4 kegs.
A squeeze yes, no room for anything else, but fits them nevertheless.

If you have measured/tried etc. my apologies, and I can't offer any practical tips on installing a collar to a fridge, apart from that it would seem more difficult to me as the weight of the lid wouldn't be working for you when it comes to sealing, but really really don't take any handy tips from me I'm telling you now...

I spent a lot of $$$ and effort getting my setup just perfect....

fridge.jpg

A great idea but it maybe cheaper/easier to get a bigger fridge and either recoupe costs by selling that one or you could keep it for something else.....

To be totally honest, the kegs only arrived today and have not tried to fit them in.
It's something that's been playing on my mind of late and thought about future proofing.

I'll do a fitting session first I think. :)

More critically do you have another fridge to ferment in?

Can you justify a few more $$$ to get another secondhand fridge/chesty for kegging?

The cost to make this collar with fittings, etc. You might be better off grabbing another second hand fridge.

Well, I was able to test fit the 4 cornie's into the fridge today. All 4 only just fit.
No room for C02 bottle inside unfortunately.
Looks like it'll have to go outside somewhere.

Will also have to build a stronger shelf or supports for the existing shelf if I'm
ever going to have 4 kegs in there at once. (which will be happening on two
occasions within the next 6 months).

Goes to show it's important to test the water before figuring out how to change it's temperature.
Apologies for the knee-jerk reaction...

Back