Upgrading Brewery - Best use of SS pots?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
Fellow brewers,

As myself and the Mrs are moving into a new place next year, I am looking at doing a bit of a brewery upgrade at the same time as I'm going to get a mate to weld some bits and pieces together for me so I'm just determining the best option for what I have available. Currently I am running a HERMS setup, with electric HLT and gas kettle (have an OTS element as well for a little boost when required).

I have acquired a double keg (2 x 50L kegs welded together), a 500x500mm SS pot (98L) and a 600x600mm SS pot (170L). Now, I'm just thinking of what is the most flexible option for myself..

Since I'll get a 50/60A supply to the brew shed, I will be using a 5.5kW in both the HLT and kettle, and then a 2.2kW element for the HERMS (might be pushing the limits running all 3 at once, but don't need to run all 3 at once if the HLT is up to temp already..). The HLT and HERMS are currently on PID, with the kettle to be wired with a voltage regulator in case I don't end up needing the full 5.5kW for a smaller batch. I'll also be re-using my current 3-ring burner on the kettle for a little boost in ramp up times if need be, and gives me a little bit of flexibility.

I was thinking of using the double keg as the HLT, and either of the pots for the MT and kettle. I'm just not sure whether it's more beneficial having a bigger MT or kettle, or even using the 170L for the HLT. If I went with either of the 100L pots for the mash tun, is it better being tall and skinny or shorter and fatter? I was thinking that having the biggest kettle would be advantageous, but then I was considering that 170L might just be excessive for that since I could still push out a triple batch in a 100L pot. Then that would give me more flexibility in the MT and being able to have a big grain bill without fear of the MT being too small.

Anyways, most of that was just me brain-farting and sharing my thoughts. Any suggestions as to what would be the best use of the pots would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Just a little bump before I dive into getting everything I need for the various pots.

I think I'll use the double keg for HLT, 100L pot for the MT and 170L for the kettle. I might even keep my current 50L kettle and use the gas burner to be able to do some partigyle style brewing simultaneous to the primary brew. It just means I won't have to worry about building a new brew stand with provision for the gas burner, and can get away with a flat workbench of some description with an all-electric system.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is the minimum batch size in the 170L and placement of the element. But in saying that, worst case scenario is that I'll just use the old kettle and burner if I want to do a small batch.

Once again, just thinking out loud and happy for any feedback.

Back