Unscented Sodium Percarbonate Brands - Definitive Answer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizier

Petite Mutant
Reaction score
Hi, and yes I have searched.

I have a good sniff in stores of every no-frills kind of sodium perc, and they all seem to be lemon scented to varying degrees.

Can anyone suggest any brand that is definitely unscented.

I know Aldi came up, I haven't tried this one.

Cheers
Dan

Aldi :p

I have also got it from Woolworths but it was awhile ago

Kabooby :)

I just bought one in Coles. I think it might actually be the Coles brand, but I can't remember for sure - I'm not at home atm. The product was labelled "sensitive", for doing nappys of babies with sensitive skin and specifically stated it was "fragrance free". it was around about 34-36% sodium perc and it cleaned my fermenter a treat and didn't smell of anything.

Cheers - Snow.

I use plain old Napisan oxyaction. The stuff in the pink container. It's not lemon scented, just smells like plain old napisan. Never had a problem with it so long you rinse afterwards (which can open a whole different can of worms <_< )

Going to move on to a no-rinse solution next year in an effort to save just that little bit more water.

Hi, and yes I have searched.

I have a good sniff in stores of every no-frills kind of sodium perc, and they all seem to be lemon scented to varying degrees.

I know Aldi came up, I haven't tried this one.

Cheers
Dan

Coles has a hypoallergenic brand. This is what I use and it is fragrance free.

The other option is to get the bulk bag of the pure stuff. I think there is a wiki article about it.

Here is a pic:
5308386.jpg

Cool, I rinse and use a no-rinse, so it is cool - but I don't want a "Spontaneous Radler

ED:

Thanks heaps, very much appreciated.

Coles has a hypoallergenic brand. This is what I use and it is fragrance free.

The other option is to get the bulk bag of the pure stuff. I think there is a wiki article about it.

Here is a pic:
5308386.jpg

That's the one! That's the one!
:)

Cheers - Snow.

I just use the Aldi brand ( D-San ), its non-scented cheapest and works.

Found that wiki article. It is by sosman.

http://www.brewiki.org/CleaningAndSanitation

He lists a Melbourne supplier of 25kg bags of pure sodium percarbonate. Probably easier just to buy the napisan which includes the surfactants, detergents, etc to help clean up the gunk.

Dan,

Is this for use as a cleaner or sanitiser?

My wife runs a coffee business. This involves cleaning the coffee machine with bleach and I realised the other day that the bleach she uses is sodium percarbonate. It's food grade and therefore fragrance free (and in the process of being certified for use in 'organic' food processing, just for good measure).

The mixture is 25% sodium percarbonate. Not sure what other mixtures normally are.

Will get the name of it when I get home.

Andrew

I've tried Aldi Di-San and it is absolutely scented. Maybe you guys get a different version to me but it's got an intense lemon scent.

The one I've used is Napisan BabyCare. Definitely not scented.

An unscented product has just a faint chemical aroma.

Go for Woolies Home Brand Nappy Treatment Plus - its 346g/kg sodium percarbonate, its cheap and it works. There is no mention of scents on the packaging (thats not to say there not lurking).

I've soaked kegs, fermenters, glassware, taps, beerlines etc for years with no dramas. Whatever you use just rinse it well in hot water.

Go for Woolies Home Brand Nappy Treatment Plus - its 346g/kg sodium percarbonate, its cheap and it works. There is no mention of scents on the packaging (thats not to say there not lurking).

I've soaked kegs, fermenters, glassware, taps, beerlines etc for years with no dramas. Whatever you use just rinse it well in hot water.

+1. Woolies Home Brand nappy soaker. Smells like it could possibly have a slight scent but that could just be the clean smell of the product. Never had any effect on my beer (that I know of....)

I've tried Aldi Di-San and it is absolutely scented. Maybe you guys get a different version to me but it's got an intense lemon scent.

The one I've used is Napisan BabyCare. Definitely not scented.

An unscented product has just a faint chemical aroma.

Aldi have 2 different nappi-sans, one scented, the other is not.The blue label is scented, the white label is not.

I use an unscented nappisan, but was wondering, since you rinse the crap out of anything you clean with napisan, why does it matter if its scented or not?? Does the smell ingrain itself into the plastic?

Latest posts

Back