Unmalted Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleiny

There is no Charge for Awesomeness
Reaction score
Ive got access to heaps of Barley, Wheat and Oats as my father in law farms all 3

besides malting them to use (as it is a bit of a process might have a go one day) but for now
im looking for ideas as to how to use this resource.

can anybody tell me what the difference is between raw wheat and flaked

any ideas

You might want to look into what variety they are too. I was on the hunt for malting barley seed to have a play with and could not find it here within the ACT. If any one has some least they would be greatly appreciated. I could find feed barley but from what I could gather it has high protein levels or something like that and is not suitable for malting for the purposes of beer production.

yes true....farmers usually take 1gk sample bags to the malters for testing and evaluation first and basically if it's not up to spec for malting then its sold as feed instead.

The grain as harvested gets taken too the silos
where the lovely young lasses take a sample which gives it a grade as malting / seed / feed and your fairly right that if the protein is too high it would go feed quality.
im pretty sure i could get you some malt quality barley if we have some stored on the farm (as long as its not pickled for sowing)
if not just wait till harvest at around xmas.

maltchew pm me if you want some and around what quantity ill see what i can do.

Latest posts

Back