Unfermented Kolsch gloop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwifirst

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I double brewed and no chilled a Kolsch. I also did a steam ale which i fermented for two weeks. The no chill was sitting in the shed which has been around 18-22. At the end of the mash I think I added geletin, I don't know why I added pre ferment, but think I must have added it because today I went to drop in the fermenter and the wort is like syrup. Very thick and actually hangs in a stream off the bottom of he hydrometer. It taste like that lovely geletin bone marrow smell.

I now don't want to toss in my 2l starter yeast as I may be just throwin more money at it. Anyone have this happen? I am assuming the yeast couldn't think out the beer. I just can't believe one teaspoon of geletin could turn 20 odd litres of beer into syrup.

I guess there's a chance that the yeast will get glued together and not ferment very well. And it might just taste of hooves anyhow. If you still got that cake of steam beer yeast I'd just jam it on that.

Bahahhaaaaaa

Why bother adding gelatine at all?

Water, malt, hops and yeast for me....... plus brewbrite....

Yep it's gone down the drain. Been awhile since I had to do that. It stunk too much.

Won't be using geletin again. This was supposed to be a kolsch for a friend from Cologne. But we won't be drinking until end of Jan. so i should have just gone with lagering to clear.

Still have time to brew again.

I've used gelatin to clear a kolsch and it has worked very well. Just add it after fermentation is complete. Before fermentation is not when it should be added.

You can also just wait for it to clear in the keg :).

Unless it's completely muddy, I don't mind slight haze in my beers. I did borrow a filter unit and Jesus Christ they do work pretty damn good.

Yes I agree. I put it in my pacific ale whilst lagering, worked fine.
Adding one teaspoon to a no chill container interestingly gives you 23l of syrup.

mje1980 said:
You can also just wait for it to clear in the keg :).
Unless it's completely muddy, I don't mind slight haze in my beer.
Depends a lot on beer and yeast for me. Some yeasts really don't taste good in suspension (like wy scottish for example) but once they drop bright are superb. My bottled beer drops bright naturally (no post fermentation finings - just time and cold) but since kegging, I've gone back to gelatin to get clear beer. Probably a time thing (easy to sample keg as soon as it carbs) plus a diptube thing.
Even yeasts that are ok in suspension like 1469 taste much better clear/bright to me.

Back