Unexpected Low Efficency? Pitch Now?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keifer33

Reaction score
So as the titles says I have gotten an unexpected low efficiency from my latest batch. I have been getting around 60-65% efficiency for BIAB no sparge just full volume which is quite ok by me as its been consistent...well until today. I will be honest and confess I didn't take a final boil reading as it was quite late and id had a bit to drink. Just drained into cube and put aside til today. So I hit around 48% eff as per Beersmith which puts my 1051 beer at a measly 1040...which is nowhere near what I need.

I had some DME from the LHBS which I thought excellent I will use this to bump up the OG....well to my surprise I found 2 earwigs in it which has totally put me off from using it and will ditch it. Now to my next question/dilemma..its in the fermenter sitting there waiting for me to pitch the yeast which my smack pack has swelled for. I can get some DME tomorrow evening on the way home but dont want to leave it in the fermenter for another 24 hours with no yeast. Can anyone see and issue if I pitch the yeast now and boil up the DME and drop that in tomorrow night? Or should I just boil the hell out of the DME I have now to pasturise and drop that in tonight?

Don't throw the DME away. Use it as above then pitch away!

Cheers mate, will boil for a fair bit. Might even do my late hope addition it it as well while im at it.

I would be inclined to give the DME a boil and throw it in with the yeast. Should be fine me thinks.

Otherwise, I would pitch the yeast and then add some DME tomorrow. Not sure what the hops utilisation will be like with the lower wort gravity, but i expect you want to add something. Sugaz? :ph34r:

I would be inclined to give the DME a boil and throw it in with the yeast. Should be fine me thinks.

Otherwise, I would pitch the yeast and then add some DME tomorrow. Not sure what the hops utilisation will be like with the lower wort gravity, but i expect you want to add something. Sugaz? :ph34r:

Yeah went with the boil the DME and pitch tonight option. I think the utilisation is out a bit and added a couple of IBU to the recipe but hopefully will all equal out. No other sugars in this one :ph34r: Will see how it goes at the October meeting.

I think you went the correct way, but will add

even if you did not want to use the EDME (earwig dried malt extract) I would still have pitched the yeast, and you could always add the extra DME a day or two later with no issues.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back