Under Carbonated

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior06

Reaction score
Hey Lads, Just cracked open 2 batches the other day, a pale & amber ale.

Pale was great, although the amber is extremely flat, tastes great used williamette hops and has a JSAA hint through it which i'm pretty happy about. Any chance of recarbing the beer?

I was thinking of opening the bottles and putting more sugar in them and resealing them?
Am i way off here or will there still be enough yeast for this to work?

Cheers
Junior

Junior - How old is the amber? What was your priming technique? Its best to make sure that there is definately a problem before re-priming or else you could get bombs. I have successfully re-carbed a brew that I stuffed up with I first started bulk priming. I made up a sugar solution and used a plastic syringe. Took off all the caps squirted in 10mls per bottle and re-capped. They came good. I made the solution up to 4gms per bottle. Say if you have 27 longnecks, 27 x 4 gms sugar = 108gms Total, dissolved in 10mls per bottle x 27 = 270.
Cheers
Steve

Did the brew taste sweet at all steve?
Could be opssible that it hasnt fermented out yet in the bottle. Maybe give it some time and see how it goes, then if still no good follow steves lead.

I primed each bottle with csr brewing sugar(powdery stuff) using that bottle primer that you get with your home brew kits...

The amber has been in the bottle for around a month...

Could i just do that again and put less sugar in?

Cheers
Junior

Berto - tasted normal - not sweet at all.

Junior - its a bit odd that they havent carbed up. You did use the right sized scoop for the bottle? Dumb question I know but you never know. What temp are the bottles stored at? They may be too cold but I find that hard to believe at the moment. You could maybe get one longneck and re-prime it, stick it in a tightly sealed esky and leave it somewhere out of the way for a couple of weeks to see if it either carbs up or blows up? If it carbs up then i'd re-prime them all (but still leave them out of the way somewhere safe) and if it blows up in the esky you know that you just had to leave them a bit longer.
Cheers
Steve

P.S. If you are going to re-prime one definately use the sugar solution I mentioned. If you pour straight dry sugar in the top with the scoop it will all gush out of the top.

i agree... if you dont like the carbonation levels and you did everything the same as the PA.... you could try and recarb one of them and keep it safe. a month at this time of year is ample for carbonation.

I've had a simliar problem with my second batch( only up to number 6 so far :) but i thought the high temps in my garage had killed the yeast before secondary fermentation had completed in the bottles.

They are put in old beer boxs and sealed up for no sunlight, the yeast gives off heat while doing its thing and coz its summer its bloody hot as it is. Am i wrong here? Also if the high temps do kill the yeast, if it cools down enough would it start up again? or would all the yeast be completey fried...

Latest posts

Back