Under Attenuated Brew - Already In Secondary...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogger

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance on a few mistakes made - Got a promising roasty stout that I racked off, and only then checked for FG (always leave my brews in primary for 2 weeks, so now "assume" ferment will b finished). Used Windsor yeast (intended to use Nottingham for low temp tolerance, but sachets got mixed), and thinking that low temps have been an issue... around the 14-16c mark.

End result - "FG" (maybe "MidG"?) is at around 1.030 (started at 1.052).

So - question being - is the yeast likely to kick back in warmer temps if I move inside (even though it's racked off the cake); or would I be better off re-pitching and effectively re-doing primary?

(Getting a bit too close to winter to be losing batches of stout!)

Looking for some guidance on a few mistakes made - Got a promising roasty stout that I racked off, and only then checked for FG (always leave my brews in primary for 2 weeks, so now "assume" ferment will b finished). Used Windsor yeast (intended to use Nottingham for low temp tolerance, but sachets got mixed), and thinking that low temps have been an issue... around the 14-16c mark.

So - question being - is the yeast likely to kick back in warmer temps if I move inside (even though it's racked off the cake); or would I be better off re-pitching and effectively re-doing primary?

I am by no means an expert, but I racked off a brew yesterday into a secondary vessel, and is is bubbling along again
I believe all will be ok with your brew, yeast doesnt fall to the trub until fermentation has ceased

Paul

Patience is your friend. Bring the fermenter up to optimum temperature, give it a gentle shake or stir. Then make sure to take gravity readings over the following days to know how it's progressing. If it was in the colder temperatures you stunted the yeasts growth/performance but it should continue to ferment slowly if you bring it back up.

If your gravity readings do not change then you can move on to methods to handle a stuck fermentation.

Missing from your post is, how much yeast pitched (more required for lagers, higher gravity ales..) did you make a starter, how did you oxygenate your wort, if at all before pitching.

Temperature in the fermenting wort is ~ 4C above ambient if it is fully fermenting. A lagged fermentation will stay closer to ambient.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Need to know what you started with, Kit, extract, AG. And if any dextrinous malts were included, your pitching rate and if you rehydrated the yeast. Also what temp did you pitch at, if the temp drops during fermentation this yeast will say goodnight, best to raise temp during fermentation. Windsor is a low attenuator and usually used for low ABV beers when looking for a little body in the finished product.

Your beer at 1.052 down to 1.030 (52-30)/52= 42%AA when you would expect to see 65% from this yeast, would probably indicate low temp or fluctuating temp has sent the yeast to the bottom. It's a lazy yeast and tends to be difficult to rouse. First try a feed with 100G of table sugar dissolved in some cooled boiled water, then give it a gentle rouse and raise the temp to 20. If that doesen't work add 10g of rehydrated Nottingham and ferment at 20C.

Hope this helps,

Screwy

Yeast strain characteristics from the Danstar Website.

Quick start to fermentation, which can be completed in 3 days above 17C.
Moderate attenuation, which will leave a relatively high gravity.
Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation is dependent on inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and the nutritional quality of the wort.
Non-flocculent strain, but some settling can be promoted by cooling and use of fining agents and isinglass.
The aroma is estery to both palate and nose, and is usually described as a full-bodied, fruity British ale. Does not display malodours when properly handled. Windsor yeast has found great acceptance in producing strong-tasting bitter beer, stout, weizen and hefe weizen.
Best used at traditional ale temperatures after rehydration in the recommended manner.

Just did a Brown Ale with the Windsor Yeast. OG 1052, FG 1020. Fermented for 4 Days tops at 18deg C. 24g Windsor Rehydrated in 400mls water (25degC)

I thought it would drop more after 48hrs (1022 at the time), but after reading documentation on this yeast it seems this is the end of the line.

The use of this yeast is specifically for beers you want to finish high. (with a fuller body being the result i assume).

If you used the nottingham, you would have probably got what you were used to getting with your yeast performance.

As noted before by others bring up to 17-21 (optimum temp for this strain) and let it finish off.

Thanks all... This is an AG, around 60% Pale, 25% Flaked,15% Roast and a wee touch of Acidulated Malt (70g in a 23l Batch), mashed dry at 65c...

Yeast was rehydrated, around 200ml at 35c - 11g from 1 sachet, and a temp equalizing addition from the wort after 30 mins. Active initially (though not as active as other stouts I have made), and airlock action tame to zero after 3-4 days.

Anyway's - the brew has been in at around 18-20c for about 24 hours, and a rousing... A bit of slow, lazy action early, but the brew surface is a now a black mirror (not a good sign for the ale yeast).. down to 1.024 (not so far from what you would expect from 65% then).

Wasn't so keen on the sugar addition.. I think I'll drink this light, and take the lesson of researching the yeast...

Aversion to using sugar is a hang over from Kit and Kilo bad press, sure some kit yeast, extract, sugar and high fermentation temps will make a ciderey beer. However sugar has it's place in brewing, look how much of the stuff is used in Belgian styles. Sugar is a great assistant for lazy yeast strains. Doubt if you will wake Windsor with a rouse and increase in temps, adding sugar will provide a much more drinkability than adding enzyme to finish it out. Another tip, add some lager yeast to finish it off, drop it out (drop temp down to 2) at your desired FG.

Good luck, sweet beer is hard to take, you'll remember the batch and have an understanding of the performance of Windsor

Cheers,

Screwy

Back