Ubuntu......who Runs It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has the best driver listing

It isnt number one for no reason!
I'm curious where either of those "facts" comes from. I consider myself pretty in touch with what's going on in the world of linux and until you mentioned it I'd never heard of PCLinuxOS. It seems I'm not the only one. pclinuxos is that blue line that never appears to leave the x-axis when compared to pretty much any of the big linux distros

It also has KDE interface which is like windows which Ubuntu does not (not including kbuntu)
Its also blue not brown
it sounds like all it has going for it is windows familiarity, but since many linux converts are swapping over because they're sick of windows it seems a bit backwards. better to make a clean break, and leave windows behind rather than move to something that's trying to imitate it

Having tried
Ubtunu
Kbuntu
Opensuse
Redhat

and I use Suse Enterprise and ESX daily at work.. what im saying has a little bit of worth i would imagine

PClinuxOS Has the same package manager as ubuntu. Its built on mandrake, and is only dipping on distrowatch.com at the moment due to hardy coming out.
It is the most simple linux distro, for a newbie it is excellent, 90% of the box's i have tried it on (probably 50 or so different machines) have had 100% driver and hardware detection. THe ones that didnt get that 100% were lacking in sound mainly.
Sure its not going to work with the latest Dual Quad Core motherboards, but hey what distro does? (without drivers)

I wasnt knocking ubuntu, i just believe PClinuxOS is better in many ways especially for a new person.
But personally i think the package manager in SUSE is better then them both!

Once you start using terminal mode , it dont really matter what Linux ver you run...i you cant unzip and install tar files then I suppose you need something foolproof..... lucky I am a little savy.....

But if you are a linux NOOBie...then its probably not a good place to go..

After doing a full install of Hardy, and getting the partions how I want them, I am reasonably happy....Although vmware-server is still causing me grief... :angry:

Regardless....any distro of Linux would make your PC fly like it should....not go to sleep like winduz...

Back