Twp-three Year Old Grain...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Hey guys

I recent aquired some Cara-Aroma free of charge, about 2-3 kg of the stuff which is choice cos there isnt a retailer in NZ that sells it... Only problem is, its 2-3 years old, it hasnt been crushed tho...

So im wondering if this would be any good? Or would I have to use twice as much to get the same effect???

It smelt all good, didnt seem moist or anything...

Chew on some. If it isnt soft it should be OK

Chew on some. If it isnt soft it should be OK

Random :p Its definately not soft, I put it into air tight bags and its still quite firm...

Wont it be less malty?

When you chew on it, try very hard to pick out any stale (damp musty basement) aspects. Another one to look out for is rotten fruit. If you can't find any, it's good. I have quite an assortment of old (from 1 - 4+ years) specialty grains in my inventory and they're fine. As long as they were stored in a dry place - cool is good too, but not nearly as important as dry - they're fine.

Sweet, ill chew on some when I get home... Im "assuming" they are probably OK due to the fact they were stored in a professional brewery..

Ill probably chew some fresh ones of a different type of grain to know what im looking for??

Ill probably chew some fresh ones of a different type of grain to know what im looking for??

That will help. Another thing I just thought of is if the grain smells mousey. I grew up on a farm and I'm sorry but that's the only description I have for it. Once you smell a granary infested with mice or rats, it's a smell you don't ever forget. If you have ever had hamsters or gerbils or basically any rodent for a pet - that smell. If the grain has that smell, don't use it.

Once you smell a granary infested with mice or rats, it's a smell you don't ever forget.

Think it's mouse piss, but you're right, you never forget it. Playing in grain bins/silos as a kid, I remember seeing em scurrying all over the surface of the grain.

Playing in grain bins/silos as a kid, I remember seeing em scurrying all over the surface of the grain.

And we as brewers still don't hesitate using it :) , even after all the washing, rinsing etc etc etc etc.....

BYB

That will help. Another thing I just thought of is if the grain smells mousey. I grew up on a farm and I'm sorry but that's the only description I have for it. Once you smell a granary infested with mice or rats, it's a smell you don't ever forget. If you have ever had hamsters or gerbils or basically any rodent for a pet - that smell. If the grain has that smell, don't use it.
The smell in mouse urine is acetamide, IIRC from my Uni days. It's how mice get rid of dietary nitrogen. Humans do it via urea.

Very distinctive indeed, that mousey smell.

Back