Tui East India Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Tried this yesterday, was umm interesting. So I did a search on the net and found that it isn't a TRUE IPA so I was wondering if anyone has tried it and knows what stye it would be close to.

Anyone else have an opinion of it at all...

NOT sure if I like it or not yet, probably need to test and retest some more... :D

i tried it about a year back. very disappointed in the lack of hops and % alcohol. if they doubled everything it might be more closer to the style.

as to its style, guessing its closer to a slighty hoppy english pale ale.

You wouldn't believe the marketing behind this beer in NZ.
It is NZ's VB.
Basically I'd call it a boring lager.

Funnily enough the brand almost died out, and was pretty much a student brew in the central North Island around Massey University.
Now it is one of Dominion Breweries two mainstream beers (with DB Draught) that gets flogged at sporting events and gets the bulk of the advertising dollars. Tui gets the North Island marketing, and DB Draught the South Island.

Thats my $0.02 anyway.

Beers,
Doc

I tried it a while ago thinking it was an IPA. I agree with Bonk, seems like a pale ale to me. Pretty boring beer, but I reckon I could drink a fair bit of it.

This explains why it was dirt cheap for an import, something like $10-$12 a 6-pack, only had the 1 though.

Thanx

Doc is right, it is a boring american styled dark lager, plain and simple.

It is not an IPA.

I sank quite a lot of this last year when I was on holiday in NZ (middle of the north island), I even went to the brewery.
At 4% its not a bad session beer, I could (and did) drink it all night. And at NZ$20 for a dozen 500ml cans, it was nice and cheap too.

Of course now that I'm a beer snob, I dont drink it anymore.

Yup - Doc has it sussed.

It's mega swill with the marketing machine behind it.

At best the plastic stubbies they sell at the Stadium are useful for yeast starters.

Otherwise it's best avoided.

PS for any ex Wellingtonians, tried the new brew at Shed 22 last week, Cheeky Amarillo, not bad. There was also a write up on it in the Dom before Christmas. If I find the article I'll post

jaytee said:
PS for any ex Wellingtonians, tried the new brew at Shed 22 last week, Cheeky Amarillo, not bad. There was also a write up on it in the Dom before Christmas. If I find the article I'll post
I was lucky enough to get to spend half a day with the brewers at Shed 22 on brew day last year.
Great bunch of guys, and then up to the staff bar for sampling afterwards.
Some great brews. Wouldn't mind trying the new beer you mention but I'm not going to be back through Wellington in the near future. I'm sure it is draft only too

Can't for the life of me find the article, but it was the journo assisting on brew day
Did find mention of it here though Cheeky Amarillo

.. Shed 22 brewmaster Colin Paige, who has generously asked your columnist to help design and build a summer beer to be launched next month. It will be a New World Pale Ale with a nod towards North America in its hopping and a deep bow towards England in its drinkability.

It was the pick of their 6 tap beers and if I didn't have the family with me for a day out could've proven their claim to 'drinkability' quite well !

Back