Trub, What Do Do With It, Why Should I Care?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurks

Reaction score
So we've got these things called hot breaks and cold breaks. These, apparently, are not seasonal holidays nor are they unusual ground-based dancing activities based in the 1980s. Well, I sort of no-chill (cube in a bath) so I don't know about cold break anyway - but you know, we have forums for being an expert in things we've never seen.

The point is, the actual break material seems pretty non distinct to me. So far I've just whacked it all in, fermented it, and ended up with some extremely tasty beer. I get some chill haze certainly but I don't have some pathological need to make out distant shapes on the horizon through my pint glass.

There's also the fact that anything I leave in the containers is less beer. Near as I can work out, less beer is bad. I haven't sat down and worked through the mathematical proof but I'm thinking it's in the order of simplicity that we can take less beer = bad as a sigma 5-level event of truth.

So, with pointless lighthearted preamble coming to an end, the question is what I can reasonably do using a BIAB system and why I should do it.

I've read a bit about whirlpooling and trying to suck up all the stuff but some cone of trub. Well, I tried that and a hot pipe in one hand a stirer in the other, worried about pipes popping out and spraying hot wort everywhere like a Japanese hentai - it's not looking hugely feasible. There's also the tinsy issue ofd the fact I can't see through the liquid that I'm trying to suck up, while not sucking up the other stuff which is different, but also not actually transparent. I called Superman for mad x-ray skills but he was too pissed to fly.

All those solid bits end up in my fementer, and there's a lot of this clumped stuff. I just siphoned this stuff out of my cube this arvo and there was HEAPS of this (I can only assume cold break). I could, in this case, see when I needed to stop but there was litres and litres of wort in there if I stopped then. I believe at this point I need to invoke China's Less Beer is Bad theorem.

The thing is, after I add all those billions of valiant yeasty soldiers, this trub stuff goes away and beer ends up being in the fermenter. So, in my round about way, what should I do and why - because I feel like I'm missing something. Help me aussie brewers, you're my only hops, err hope.

Why change if you're making good beer?

So you don't have to hang onto a hot pipe, buy a massive bulldog clip. I've always meant to get a hole drilled and a tap fitted, but i'm too cheap :) So i use a massive bulldog clip and a piece of silicone hose.

A good reason to not have break in the cube is that the more break in there the less wort you have. Less wort = less beer = bad :( . So after i whirlpool (or stir to the right for a bit) and let settle i siphon as much wort into the cube as i can. If a bit of trub gets in there i don't stress.

When you're emptying the cube into the fermenter, just tip the whole lot in, don't worry about cold break. INtroducing a siphon into the equation is just another place for an infection to hide. So unless you can't lift a full cube i wouldn't worry about it.

Epic,

Sounds like you were trying to siphon and whirlpool? The idea is to whirlpool and then leave to let settle, siphoning from the side will then leave the bulk of the trub in the middle of the pot,

Sorry if this is understood, its just how it reads.

Cold bfeak from the cube, as I undersfand it, is less of an issue bit you certainly don't want the hotbreak in the cube.

Most literature suggests hot break will contribute to staling. It won't instantly ruin your beer and I have recently read some scientific literature that suggests there are some benefits as well as drawbacks - it's, as always, a matter of balance. Cold break I have not found personally to be an issue at all and literature suggests it's certainly less of a concern than hot break.

http://www.scientificsocieties.org/jib/pap...06-1016-468.pdf

Technical thingy^

Well, I tried that and a hot pipe in one hand a stirer in the other, worried about pipes popping out and spraying hot wort everywhere like a Japanese hentai

You owe me a new keyboard... mine has spat-out-beer all over it

so, about 10 minutes before flamouts you need to put finings into the kettle. i have forgotted to this lately and it is shit (unless your recipe has lots of wheat)

wait until the convection eddies stop before starting to whirlpool, then wait until the whirlpool stops before you syphon

when siphoning, try to aim your hose for the corner of the pot. clip it in place with a spring clamp or something

so do your siphon thing, then when the level of the wort is approaching the top of trub cone try to throttle the flow to minimise disruption to the trubs (try pinching the tube with your fingers, or another clamp)

then either tip all the remaining trubs into a container and put into the fridge as mentioned previously, or filter it

so, about 10 minutes before flamouts you need to put finings into the kettle. i have forgotted to this lately and it is shit (unless your recipe has lots of wheat)

wait until the convection eddies stop before starting to whirlpool, then wait until the whirlpool stops before you syphon

when siphoning, try to aim your hose for the corner of the pot. clip it in place with a spring clamp or something

so do your siphon thing, then when the level of the wort is approaching the top of trub cone try to throttle the flow to minimise disruption to the trubs (try pinching the tube with your fingers, or another clamp)
+1 here, that's basically what I used to do when siphoning, except whirfloc at 5mins instead of 10.

Marvellous, so it seems there was something I was missing with the technique. Particularly useful to catch that bit about waiting until the convection settles down (you can see it moving trub around so that totally makes sense) before siphoning.

Manticle, that's a excellent paper - very enlightening. Thanks a bunch.

Frustratingly I've made two exact same APAs over the last two days - this would have been a good A/B test.

So we've got these things called hot breaks and cold breaks. These, apparently, are not seasonal holidays nor are they unusual ground-based dancing activities based in the 1980s. Well, I sort of no-chill (cube in a bath) so I don't know about cold break anyway - but you know, we have forums for being an expert in things we've never seen.

The point is, the actual break material seems pretty non distinct to me. So far I've just whacked it all in, fermented it, and ended up with some extremely tasty beer. I get some chill haze certainly but I don't have some pathological need to make out distant shapes on the horizon through my pint glass.

There's also the fact that anything I leave in the containers is less beer. Near as I can work out, less beer is bad. I haven't sat down and worked through the mathematical proof but I'm thinking it's in the order of simplicity that we can take less beer = bad as a sigma 5-level event of truth.

So, with pointless lighthearted preamble coming to an end, the question is what I can reasonably do using a BIAB system and why I should do it.

I've read a bit about whirlpooling and trying to suck up all the stuff but some cone of trub. Well, I tried that and a hot pipe in one hand a stirer in the other, worried about pipes popping out and spraying hot wort everywhere like a Japanese hentai - it's not looking hugely feasible. There's also the tinsy issue ofd the fact I can't see through the liquid that I'm trying to suck up, while not sucking up the other stuff which is different, but also not actually transparent. I called Superman for mad x-ray skills but he was too pissed to fly.

All those solid bits end up in my fementer, and there's a lot of this clumped stuff. I just siphoned this stuff out of my cube this arvo and there was HEAPS of this (I can only assume cold break). I could, in this case, see when I needed to stop but there was litres and litres of wort in there if I stopped then. I believe at this point I need to invoke China's Less Beer is Bad theorem.

The thing is, after I add all those billions of valiant yeasty soldiers, this trub stuff goes away and beer ends up being in the fermenter. So, in my round about way, what should I do and why - because I feel like I'm missing something. Help me aussie brewers, you're my only hops, err hope.
Dude don't worry AT all about the trub or whatever it is.....I would read a book on action beer, slinging guns and jumping out of alien space ships you wrote. Not having a go at all your a great writer mate keep it coming. Oh yeah thats right if you don't want the shit in the fermentor just let gravity do it's work for twenty and make sure your suction picks up all the wort from the bottom also BREW BRIGHT does a great job as well.

Latest posts

Back