Trent In Canada

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UNIBROUE'S LA FIN DU MONDE (The end of the world)

The word exceptional comes to mind, but maybe I am just easy to please :p
Anyway, bottles are 650mL and cost $5.95.
Did I mention how much I am enjoying my holiday? :beerbang: :super:
All the best (should be the last post from me for 18 hours or so..)
Trent

I think one of the best things in Canada is the abundant, cheap fresh Unibroue beer. La Fin Du Monde is a very tasty beer, maybe a little too tasty for all that alcohol.

Its a shame your not getting to Vancouver, as there are some great micros here that don't bottle, Storm Brewing and the Mark James Group brewpubs.

Thanks for the reviews, I'll check some of the good ones out.

Enjoy the snow, spent Christmas at Fernie, awesome snow in BC at the moment.

Sam

edit - For anyone going to Vancouver, Dix (a Mark James Group brewpub) has a cask ale night every Thursday, except when its a home Canucks game. All the micros show up, and theres a couple of casks on. Worth checking out. Also, The Whip, at 6th & Main, has a cask night every Sunday.

UNIBROUE'S BLANCHE DE CHAMBLY (Chambly white, cause they come from Chambly, quebec)

Bready wheat malt aroma competing with dried orange and coriander seed. Pale and cloudy in appearance, slight tartness in flavour with the same components as aroma. Med-low body, moderately high carbonation, low bitterness. This is pretty much the Canadian version of Hoegaarden, and it is very bloody good, though maybe a bit sweeter and less tart than the original. Quite looking forward to an evening on this, well worth the purchase.
6 pack of 341mL bottles $11.75
Trent,

I think this beer is a little more like Blanche de Bruge than Hoegaarden. A little sweeter and less phenolic, IIRC.

I like this beer, but I like La Fin du Monde a little more.

Just tasted your Nut Brown too. Was it tea-bagged?

Seth out

Hi Trent

I have just returned from three weeks in Vancouver where I too became married to my Canadian partner. Good luck for your big day! Be careful of the snow on the Coquihalla... http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/BCHighwaycam/index...False&cam=1

Went on a substantial IPA bender whilst there and was lucky enough to sneak across into Washington where I loaded up with American IPAs and DIPAs from Bottleworks in Seattle. Wrote notes on them all and I might post them if anyone is interested.

Mat Philips and his crew are making great beers, but the best BC IPA in pack at the moment is definitely HopHead from Tree in Kelowna. Fresh, balanced, clean and absolutely delicious. Best Sepo IPA I had was Big Daddy from Speakeasy in San Diego. Best brewpubs this visit were Yaletown (downtown Vancouver), Longwood (Nanaimo) and Diamond Knot (Mukilteo, WA).

Super trip. Lots of great ideas for our upcoming breweries.

David
That BJCP course you took us through, certainly helped with my ability to taste and describe beer, but that comment you made must have jinxed me. The next few beers were tasted after several bottles of wine, and as such no notes were kept :(
Sam
Thanks for the heads up on the mark james group and Storm, I will have to check them out
Les
I am glad that it was you who could taste the tea bagging, I only did it to one bottle, and it woulda been very embarrassing if someone I didnt know personally received it :p You probably do recall correctly about Blanch de Chambly, but I have never tasted Blanch de Bruge. I liked it alot though.
Randall
Congrats on your wedding, I hope that it was great. We have gotten everyone to fly in to fly into Kelowna (home of Tree brewing) specifically to avoid the drive over the coquihalla. One couple drove in from Vancouver island, and said there were some horrendous accidents along the way, and they werent even sure they were going to make it. I can tell you from experience over the last week of driving, hitting sheet ice at 30k/h downhill is very little fun, so the coquihalla is one place I only drive over in summer! I found the Tree Hop Head wasnt so great last year, but it sounds as if it is now. I just tried last night teh phillips Amnesiac IIPA, and it wasnt as good as I remembered, still very smooth, but the hop character wasnt so flash. I guess they werent as fresh as they were in the summer.
All the best
Trent

This is for more pics.
A heap of the wedding party has just come to my place, so I will save my "reviews" until I get some more time. I will be saying my vows at 2pm new years day AEDT, (7pm new years eve here), so have a beer for me!
All the best
Trent
EDIT - The beer selection over here is great. I had to be sneaky in taking these pics (they have some wierd aversion to pics being taken in public places, bars, etc...), but needless to say, it is about the size of a Dan Murphy's, with heaps of beers from across canada, and germany, belgium, england, scotland, france, etc. The 2, 12 and 24 packs are generally from canada and the US.

beerselection.jpg

singleserve.jpg

purchase2.jpg

Happy New Year everyone
The wedding went off without a problem, everyone had a blast, especially me! I have been drinking quite a few beers lately, and havent been keeping hte best notes, but I will do my best. I actually took a 6 pack of Tree Hop Head for myself to drink at the reception, and I have to say that it is alot better than I remember, it was excellent actually. Not too over the top, and well balanced, perfect way to start a marriage and bring in the new year! Been into a few German, English and Scottish beers too, as they have a great selection at a pretty cheap price, but will just stick to telling you about the Canadian ones. At least the ones I remember!
Trent

MT. BEGBIE'S HIGH COUNTRY KOLSCH
I believe this mob are from Revelstoke from memory, the bottle has alredy been recycled.
The aroma was of sweet pils malt, and there was a low, yet definite, aroma of pear. It was crystal clear and gold in colour, with a low white head. It was smooth with delicate malt flavours, and low levels of both DMS and pear/fruit notes. It finishes fairly dry, but maybe a little sweeter than what I remember of the style. It had a medium-low body, with a low carbonation, and was a very nice beer that could be drunk all night long. This would be a great beer to get mega swill mates onto craft beer with.
$4.95 for a 640mL bottle, about 5 point something % alcohol.
Trent

kolsch.jpg

Unibroue's EAU BENITE
This beer is a Tripel, though it only weighs in at 7.7%, and costs $4.95 for a 750mL bottle. It is nice and pale in colour, and has all the phenols and esters and complexity that you would expect out of a strong belgian style ale. I didnt keep any notes, but it went down very easily, and was fairly light bodied from I assume additions of sugar of some description. Great way to end the day. I am starting to feel that Unibroue dont make any bad beers! Quite enjoyable.
Trent

OLD YALE BREWING CO'S PALE ALE
I was expecting alot from this beer, after they stated that they use 11 pounds of fresh cascade hops in every batch. I had just showed my friends here through a small selection of my own beers (including my IPA that came first in state and 3rd in nats), and it seemed to have a really harsh grassy flavour, rather than the traditional cascade citrus notes. I tried to get through it, but ended up deciding to tip it down the sink. thankfully, one of my groomsmen drank it down, not wanting to see any beer go to waste! The colour and bitterness were great, I just couldnt come at that grassy hop flavour, I assume the hops werent the freshest, or maybe a bad batch?
Will try and give it another go before I leave.
The brewery is from Chilliwack, and it was $4.95 for a 640mL bottle, about 5.2% (?)
Trent

PHILLIP'S AMNESIAC IIPA
This has always been my favourite commercially available double IPA anywhere. The bitterness is not over the top, everything is really big, including the hop aroma and flavour, yet it was all in total balance. I was so excited to try this one again, and cracked it for all my friends, and told them this was probably my fave beer in the world, and lo and behold, it had the same grassy harshness in it as the previous beer did. Everything else was spot on, it was just that rough flavour on the back palate. I can only assume, in light of 2 beers having the same funny flavour (especially as I have always loved this beer) that there was a batch of hops that wasnt the best quality being sold. I still have the Old Yale IPA to go, so will see if I find that same flavour in there. So, I was very disappointed with this particular bottle of a great beer, but if you are ever in BC, pick up this beer and give it a try. I will be sure to give it another crack before heading home.
All the best
Trent

GRANVILLE ISLAND'S MERRY MONKS DOPPELBOCK (seasonal)
At just under $5 a bottle, and 8.7%, I was very excited to get into this one. Never tried a commercial doppelbock before, and I was not disappointed in the least, as a matter of fact, I thought it was bloody sensational. I wrote notes, and have since lost them, but it was a deep ruby red colour, with a low white head. The beer itself had notes of sweet caramel and toffee, and some low levels of dark fruits. the maltiness was amazing for a lager! The flavour kinda blew me away, it was nice and chewy, really malty, with a low bitterness, and kinda sweet, but not in an under attenuted way. there were some deep malty flavours that could be described as dark fruit, but maybe not. Alcohol wasnt overly evident, but left yuo with some alcohol warming. Stood outside to enjoy it, cause the smokers were out there (though I dont smoke).
When will Australia start to have beers like this available? Hey, does anybody know if it is doppelbock season in Germany at this time of year? I have 3 days in Bavaria, and have told my cousin that I am visiting that I would like to go brewery hopping, rather than skiing. :beerbang:
Trent

doppelbock.jpg

Though not a canadian beer, I figured I would have to throw this one in.
FULLER'S 2006 VINTAGE ALE
Fruity, malty sweet caramelly aromas, with dark fruits evident, and little hop aroma. Deep copper in colour with ruby tinges. Quite alcoholic with port like maltiness (if that makes sense), low hop flavour and dark fruit flavours, identifiable as raisins and plums, and a few others in there that I couldnt pick. Full body, with low carbonation, and a high bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste along with a spicy alcohol sensation. As it warms there is a slight harshness that appears. It is a very nice beer, but one that I think would benifit from a couple of years in the cellar, so if ya have a bottle from xmas, maybe think about keeping it until xmas 2008?
$6 for a 500mL bottle, 8.5%
Trent

vintageale.jpg

UNIBROUE'S DON DE DIUE
Did not take any notes on this one, as I drank it at a friends house, but may I say WOW :excl: :super: I think that this is so far the best beer I have had in Canada, complex, a little spicy, estery, light phenols, just so belgian in flavour, really smooth, and super easy to drink. It was a very pale colour, and I had no idea what style it was, but Les enlightened me, that it is a wheat tripel. It weighs in at 9%, but there is NO way you could pick it. Smooth and full of character, this is the kind of beer I would love to be able to purchase whenever I wanted, to take out to BYO retsaurants, or (dare I even dream), brew myself. Delicious. I dunno how it would travel to Oz, (though it is on yeast), but if you see some available near you, grab a bottle. If it is half as good as it is here, you wont be disappointed.
Trent

CANNERY BREWING'S BLACKBERRY PORTER
This is a beer that I had on tap last time, and I dont think it is as good in the bottle as it was on tap. It seemed a little bit rougher in the bottle. None the less, there was some nice roastiness in the nose, with clear blackberry notes. It had a reasonably high bitterness, so I guess that the base is a robust porter style, but the blackberry comes through in the flavour and compliments the roastiness (that isnt too high). The blackberry flavour comes through more as an undertone rather than an overtone, and it is tasted most in the aftertaste. This is a very enjoyable beer, and when faced with a line up of taps that are mostly mainstream style beers, this is a welcome sight. If you cant find it on tap, the bottled version is still very nice, and a great beer, certainly worth a try.
$4.50 a 640mL bottle, 5.5%(?)
Trent

Gday everyone
FINALLY got some pics downloaded onto the computer, so there are all the pics with beer reviews (if I managed to take a pic!). the weather has been a bit funny lately, it has been getting above zero during the day (and sometimes overnight) and then freezing again, making for some slippery walking and driving. The snow tends to pack down, and isnt too bad overall to walk or drive on, but once it melts, then re-freezes, the fun starts. Here are a couple of pics, though they maybe arent as impressive as it looks in real life (duh!)
So here are some of a very icy street, an icy footpath, and one taken from the car, where a real, aussie sized gutter is all completely filled with solid ice. Can make jay walking a little dodgier :lol:
All the best
Trent

icystreet.jpg

footpathice.jpg

icedgutter.jpg

Made it into Tree Brewery today, and tasted a few beers.
First up was the HONEYCOMB PILSENER
Light pils malt, low DMS and a light honey aroma, along with a light fruitiness from hops. Mid gold in colour, and crystal clear, with a fluffy mousse like head that persists. Light in body, with a moderate bitterness and just a hint of honey (that adds a little complexity), with a moderate hop flavour. Very clean, and very nice - definitely a "starter" beer for those wanting to graduate from mega swill. It is a bit heavier than megaswill, with more malt, bitterness, hops and complexity. Definitely a session beer
Trent

honeycombpils.jpg

Second off the taps came their most popular beer, THIRSTY BEAVER AMBER (5%)
Sweet caramel/toffee notes and low hop aroma. Mid gold, not too much darker than the pils, with a moussy head. There is a caramelly/toffee maltiness in the mouth, with moderate bitterness and moderate hop flavour. Medium-full body, and balanced towards the sweet end of the scale. Clean, beery and flavourful, yet still mild enough to cater to the average Joe.
Trent

thirstybeaver.jpg

Third cab off the rank was their SPY PORTER
Beautiful aroma, toffee, caramel, chocolate, coffee and a low roasty note. Dark brown in colour, yet still clear enough to see through, with an off white, persistent head. There is a moderate roast note, caramel (again!) and coffee notes, with more dominant chocolate, medium bitterness, and low hop flavour. A little thinner than the aroma would suggest, but easily drinkable, and plenty of character. Way better than any of the dark ales available in Oz.
Trent

Spyporter.jpg

Finally, their best beer (IMO), the HOP HEAD IPA
Low malty aroma, overwhelmed by a clean citrusy hop aroma that hits you before your nose gets to the glass. No hop stands out singularly to me, so I am assuming it is a mix of several, maybe cascade, centennial and another? High bitterness, hop flavour isnt as high as the bottled version, though the hop aroma is higher than in the bottled version. Moderate maltiness, with a med-low body, quite clean and flavourful. This is their flagship beer, and I can see why. It is an excellent AIPA. The bitterness and hop flavour persists into the aftertaste, and it probably adds something to be drinking it at the brewery!
Attached are also some pics of the "tree" sign, and a picture of the new mrs standing in the bar (we wre the only ones there.)
Trent

Hophead.jpg

Tree.jpg

TreeBar.jpg

UNIBROUE'S CHAMBLY NOIRE
Picked up a mixed pack of Unibroue beers, and this one was next.
It smells very much like a german wheat beer, though the cloves are much more dominant than the esters. Black, with ruby highlights when held to the light. Head disspatesquickly (could be glassware). Sharp, clovey phenols are the first thing you can taste, along with the dark malts, though it isnt roasty, maybe like a cross between a schwarzbier, and a schneider weiss? Faint banana comes in on the aftertaste. The bitterness is higher than usual in a wheat beer, maybe helped by the darker malts? It is also reasonably tart and acidic. Body is medium low, and carbonation is fairly high. It is very nice, and would probably be best drunk with some food. The bottle recommendsfish, strong cheeses and chocolate desserts.
Trent

chamblynoire.jpg

Back