Trappist Style From A Can?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henderjo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently had my first Trappist beer - wow, how amazing! Can't remember the name (tho I only had one). I understand that a "Trappist" beer is brewed by monks etc... however... my question - is there a trappist style beer that I can brew from a K&B? Or is this a completely ambiguous question as "trappist" isn't a style in fact there are many styles that are produced by Trappist brew houses??? A little confused I may be - however to make something similar to a fully balanced beautifully flavored darker (not black) beer with a thick creamy head would make me a very happy man.

Hendo.

OK, there are only a few trappist ales commonly available, so I am putting my money on it being something from La Trappe, Chimay or Westmalle.
Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus is a fantastic book if you want to learn more about this stuff.

I think you could brew a half-decent beer from a extract, but you will absolutely NEED a proper liquid yeast such as this from site sponsor. Some may say that you can try T58 dry yeast, and it might be OK, but I say go the good stuff.

I suggest go with a nice clean light base such as a Coopers Cerveza can with some DME and steep some Special B, maybe hop a little more with Styrian Goldings or Hersbruker.

This style is really about the yeast so you will want to keep it pretty happy, and not ferment too hot.

ED: I think this would be quite drinkable.
I also thought that your post was about a Trappist brewery announcing the opening of a canning facility :)

I also thought that your post was about a Trappist brewery announcing the opening of a canning facility :)
[/quote]

Thanks Bizier,

At least the title got you to read it ;)

Thanks for the info - was not a Chimey - but it's on my list to try. I've had two fermenting fridges go on me in the last week or two! Pick up the next one next weekend - so I might have a go at it once I'm sure it's up to the task.

Thanks again,

Hendo.

Excellent advice from Bizier.
I reckon something like this would produce a very 1/2 decent K&K Strong Belgian Golden Ale.
2 x Coopers Cervesa or Canadian Blond
2kg dextrose
1 pack of Wyeast 3255 Ardenne, or Wyeast 1762 Abbey II
Maybe dry hop with 25g of Styrian Goldings or Hallertau for three days in 2ndary if you do that kinda thing.

If you have fermentation temp control, that is fantastic.
Keep us updated if it is good or otherwise.

I am only really just playing around with funkier yeasts now that I am comfortable with neutral ones. I have really learned, or it has finally driven home, that this is where exceptional brewers come into it. I just compared my hefe against the mighty Schofferhofer... While mine is drinkable, and the yeast character is much better than the one before it, it is not where I want it to be. Now I have a Belgian blond in the fermenter with the Wyeast Schelde and I am crossing my fingers a little because even after reading Brew Like a Monk, I have no first-hand experience with the yeast. But even if it takes me a lifetime, one day I will have something approximating Rochefort 10 on tap. I think others will agree that it is a noble enough dream.

If you have not tried Rochefort 10 and you get the chance, do not hesitate.

Back