Transporting Co2 Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooza

Reaction score
hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of the rules/regs on getting co2 bottle transported. looking at a secondhand bottle 6kg in cairns and need to get it to toowoomba. any help appreciated.
cheers scooza.

hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of the rules/regs on getting co2 bottle transported. looking at a secondhand bottle 6kg in cairns and need to get it to toowoomba. any help appreciated.
cheers scooza.

no sure but the ebay ones are transported full :huh:

As far as I know if its empty most forms of delivery its ok[aust post-you need to fill out dangerouse goods form]if its full you would have to use private courier,so ask one of your local carriers for a quote/advise

From the research I have done, you can air freight cylinders as long as there empty but when filled they have to be road freight, and this would be due to them being pressurized. As for a dangerous goods docket, I would argue this as horse manure because CO2 is an inert gas.

Jay

From the research I have done, you can air freight cylinders as long as there empty but when filled they have to be road freight, and this would be due to them being pressurized. As for a dangerous goods docket, I would argue this as horse manure because CO2 is an inert gas.

Jay

What if a full cylinder leaked in the back of a delivery van causing the driver to lose consciousness or die. Seems like a pretty dangerous gas to me.

Should be no problem shipping empty IMO. The main problem with full tanks is if they fall over and break the valve then you have an unguided missile that can do lots of damage.

I bought a bargain 2nd hand co2 cylinder with some other gear from QLD then i tried to ship it via courier.
Several places said they do not handle dangerous goods then finally one said they would transport the tank empty or full but at some dangerous goods rate and it was about $140.
By the time I had the stuff in Sydney it was no longer a bargain.

Later a mate who regularly deals with couriers said that the empty co2 cylinder is not a dangerous good and should not be sent as such.
He implied that because i did not know they just pushed the dangerous goods deal so they got 4 times the $ for the same service.
He said i should not have told them it was an cylinder at all when aranging deliverey.
I asked if that could land me in trouble.
He said yea if your empty co2 tank blew up... which aint going to happen.

He also said I should have separated the cylinder and sent it dangerous goods and the other gear separateley as normal charge.
Also commenting that the 2 parcels would be in the back of the same truck together.
Good luck.

Back